ferrite cores

i need to repair the ferrite cores in a H F transformer in a welding
inverter, the cores are busted into peices, it has two oval coils of
thick copper side by side, with four u shaped ferrites bolted end to
end to make two rings. Question is could i get replacements ? or better
still could i salvage some ferrite and make my own ? i have found
ferrite in bar and block form but i'm guessing they can't be made up
from seperate parts, like 3 square bars fixed into a u shape. I know
zero about this , so i'm ready to learn.
Reply to
Motor
On 1/26/07 6:44 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com, "Motor" wrote:
I doubt that you can repair the cores. They are ceramic and it would be pretty difficult to sinter them or glue them. Even if you could, there would be air gaps at the joints. In the long run, it would be cheaper to get new transformers.
How did you break them?
Bill -- Fermez le Bush--about two years to go.
Reply to
Salmon Egg
I inherited a machine with this problem, good news is that i've found a company who supplies a core that will fit, these ones are square 'legged', while the originals were round, will this matter ?, or i can grind them down to fit exactly if this is better, i don't know if ferrites can be re-shaped without upsetting them. Another problem is that the originals had a thin paper gasket between the two cores, where the legs meet, the new ones will need a gasket 5 or 10 mm thick, will this be ok ? This machine is 300 quids worth of inverter welder, so it's well worth the trouble.
cores. They are ceramic and it would be
Reply to
Motor
On 1/30/07 7:42 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "Motor" wrote:
Is this a single sentence? I do not understand it.
Bill -- Fermez le Bush--about two years to go.
Reply to
Salmon Egg
------------------------ 5-10mm "air gap" vs a fraction of a mm will make a large and undesired difference in any magnetic core and the performance of the device.
Reply to