Best BEGINNER textbook (Electronics class, on transistors)

I am a senior in Electrical Engineering right now. Currently I am using Sedra and Smith's Microelectronics book. However...it is too dry and too detailed. I can't read through it as hard as I try.

What are some great BEGINNER'S textbook for an Electronics course? We focus on transistors (BJT and MOSFETS). We will be designing amplifiers and looking at transistor models. I care more about how to practically apply what is learned instead of too much theory.

Thanks!

Reply to
cheezyman

Try 'Art of Electronics' by Horowitz and Hill regards, S.Ramamurthy

Reply to
S.Ramamurthy

I'm curious. You're a senior and just starting in on transistors? What university are you attending?

Al

Reply to
Al

Ramamurphy: Thanks! I've heard that from other people also. I will get a hold of the book.

Al: Ahh, no I'm not just starting. I learned this stuff when I was a sophomore. However, my teacher wasn't very good. The main issue that I have is the different ways of modeling a transistor. The reason is my professor was not consistent with his notations (i_b and I_b). He also never taught us how to calculate certain resistances (r_pi, r_o). I actually wasn't clear on the issue until a couple of days ago (my new professor is very good and to the point).

I am taking an upper division Electronics course right now. My main point was to find a textbook that was less wordy and more to the point. I just want to make sure that I learn it well this time (although in the future I will be doing embedded systems instead of electrical oriented subjects, and I definitely don't want to design op amps for a living!).

Reply to
cheezyman

On 25 Jan 2007 21:27:35 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" Gave us:

Google NEETS