Free energy

I was watching Myth Busters. They raised a coil of wire to some high voltage transmission lines.
It looked to me like they had the turns parallel to the power line.
They were not able to have much success.
Shouldn't the coil be perpendicular to the line?
Would this work?
Anyone see the show?

At first, I thought the post was a kook post. Now I realize that your fraud receiver realized there was something wrong.
It is not clear what you mean by "turns parallel to the power line." Capacitive coupling to the power line would not be able to transfer much power. Even at high voltage, no much current would flow. 100pF and 200kV would allow 7.5maAC. Thus, it would require an energy thief to use magnetic coupling.
Current flowing around a conductor will have circular magnetic field with the circles in planes perpendicular to the conductor. Thus, to couple, the AXIS of a cylindrical solenoid should be perpendicular to the conductor in order to maximize transformer coupling. Again, you will not get much transformer coupling without an iron core to concentrate flux through the solenoid.
Bill -- Fermez le Bush--about two years to go.
I remember seeing a fella holding a fluorescent bulb under one of these things and it was lit up. Fluorescent, low current high voltage makes sense though. (Plus there was a film exposure issue here.) But, I was told by a communications engineer that they used to lean fluorescent bulbs against the wall in the local radio station transmitter room, and the power flux would cause the damned things to light! Didn't see it, but I heard it.
I have seen scientific errors on Myth Busters before though. But, could you imagine how much trouble these guys would be in if they showed the whole country how to rip off the power companies? Gives lawyers goose bumps! In another show, they attempted to hook up an Edison hydrogen generator to a Buick to make it run. Edison never intended to make this thing run a Buick, only improve its gas mileage. I lost my respect for those guys that day. The dog gone thing (The Edison hydrogen generator. I got it from a windmill guy!) cost me 30 bucks and added 3.8 MPG to my engine. Thats over 60 free miles every tank full. At 3 bucks a gallon that was a huge increase. Or maybe I could just buy a Honda ... Naaa.
Do I still use it? Naa. I am an American, money means nothing to me! I drive a Buick fer' crying out loud! ~;>P
(I hope you Europeans, etal don't believe that!)
Tim Gard

Knowledge isn't illegal. Use of it can be.
--
Al, the usual

My dad worked at a substation and you could hold up a florescent light in high current times and it would light up....

in one sense all energy is free (or stolen).
we steal it from the ground or the sun or the wind or the rivers and spend it as we wish.
look at the problem of trying to glean energy from a power line without a direct connection. the amount of power that is used by the intended load equals the amount of power into the system minus total losses. the bulk of the losses are resistive and are converted to heat. that leaves only a tiny amount of electromagnetic radiation to be "captured" in some manner.
look at it this way, if there was all that much energy to be had in this manner it would be doing something obvious.... like picking up cars as they drove under them or something.
Magnetic fields do not cause load without something gathering it up and using it. There are huge electrical fields around these wires. (Lamda wavlength issues?) Thats why the power companies do not run these things in cities close to buildings. Rebar maybe? Induced voltages can fry your inards. Its why birds can not fly in front of large radar installations.
Tim Gard

Tim Gard wrote:

once you figure out what a load is you might be able to use it in a sentence that makes sense.
There are huge electrical fields around these wires.
define huge.

er, no power lines in cities? i wonder how it is that my light come on.
Rebar maybe? Induced

voltage dosent do much of anything except push current.
Its why birds can not fly in front of

next time you see a flock of bird land on a power line just slap yourself alongside the head and think "what did i say?"
Idiot. High tension lines in a city. Can you read or do you just insert your own crap randomly
Load? An energy consuming device Thats what a load is dummy
Voltage doesn't do anything but push current? Did you come up with that yourself or do you actually hold a degree in electronics?
Next time someone is talking about radar and you insert 'power line' like as ass, shoot yourself you dolt. Transmitted energy in Radar shows how strong a field can be. But I get the impression you are so damned full of yourself it doesnt matter.
Ok, is that enough juvenile crap for you or do you love to eat this shit you childish asshole ...
Tim Gard

On 3/5/07 11:38 AM, in article NJSdnVyzW_It7HHYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com, "Tim Gard"
What is a dummy load?
Bill -- Fermez le Bush--about two years to go.
i now believe Mr Guard is the OP who started this thread in order to pomote an agenda.
Boy timmie, you are such an intelligent fella!