generator stops generating

Hi, I have an old (1987) 4000watt (8hp) generac. It gets little use and when it does it works fine. Till today. This has run for days before with more load than was on it today.

It was running for about an hour and all of a sudden it stops making power. Engine still runs fine. No overloaded or tripped breakers. I shut it down check it out and refire it. My voltmeter says it is producing its' usual

220v but as soon as it warms up it stops producing power. Seems to be a heat issue. If I just turn off the power (engine still running) for 1 min when I turn it back on it will generate for maybe 10sec. If I turn off the power for 5 min it will generate for like 1 min than no more. Some one suggested the bridge rectifier board. If it is an easy fix I might. Really want an excuse to get a new unit. I can use that old 8HP to replace the one on a tired mortar mixer.
Reply to
calhoun

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

It appears to be a fault either in the main winding or the field circuit. As it produces normal voltage at no load, the fault is more likely to be an intermittent connection (heat related) in the output winding. It may be as simple as a loose connection at the terminals.

Reply to
Don Kelly