halogen spotlights

I've been asked to fit some of those low voltage halogen ceiling spotlights but I am concerned about what should be fit above the light ( in the loft ) . Halogens give off quite a bit of heat, so I was wondering whether there should be some sort of heat protection or does the loft insulation just go back on top of the fitting ? Are 50/60w lamps enough to cause damage/fire ?

The back of the fittings are open and there are no specific instructions in the box .

Mike

Reply to
Mike Guess

You should be using an IC fixture for the lamp listed. Some fixtures do not list halogen for that very reason. If left on for long periods and not installed properly any light bulb could cause a fire. If the fixture is not IC then you should remove the insulation from above the fixture, This also causes drafts and cold spots.

Reply to
SQLit

Mike Guess formulated the question :

Fit an upside down plant pot above the fitting, to ensure an adequate clearance of insulation from the lights.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Certainly using IC (Insulated Ceiling) fixture is recommended, but now days you probably should use vapor barrier as well (depends on the location and age of the house) and build non combustive box, or instead of this combination you can use AC (Air Tight) fixture that is approved for insulated ceilings. You do not give any information as to the location, but I am sure you can find the dimensions and material for the box described in the Local Electrical Code. The idea with flower pot is not bad, as long as meets minimum dimensions and is permanently fastened. I can tell you from my own experience, if you do not permanently attached the "pot", you will find that your fixture is covered with insulation next time you visit the attic (plumber, satellite tech, alarm tech, HVAC tech, telephone tech, or some one else WILL move it), and then it does not take much to start smoldering, especially that the non-IC/AT fixtures do not require thermal cut-out. Take care. Art.

Reply to
art

The idea with flower pot is not bad, as long as

In the US, *ALL* recessed lighting fixtures require the thermal cut-out switch - IC or otherwise.

Reply to
Paul

Reply to
Adrian Chirgwin