Help on low frequency cut out?

Does anyone here know of any cheap and simple way, without purchasing two entire crossovers, to cut out the low frequencies to my two book shelf speakers? The other speakers I have in my system can handle all the power I put to them, but if I get the volume too high on anything with very low frequencies the two little speakers start to distort. I'd rather just turn them into mid and high range speakers and cut out the low end. I'm not too much of an electronic whiz, so what I'm looking for is something I can buy ready to use, cheap. Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

Reply to
David Ferree

David Ferree wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Try the RatShack..... They used to sell some inexpensive crossovers, no box, just the boards. I have them in a set-up I use. Can be mounted in the speaker box itself.

Reply to
Anthony

I used some of theirs on some speakers I built years ago, but they don't sell them anymore. The thing is, I don't want to send the low frequency anywhere (to any speaker), I just want to block it.

Reply to
David Ferree

place a capacitor in series with the speaker. id guess about 10 uF non-polerized 35 working volts or higher.

as you have not specified a frequency cutoff, speaker impedance, we kind of have to guess.

for more high and less lows make the cap smaller (less uF)

the cap goes directly to the speaker. if its a self powered speaker, its a different matter.

Reply to
Tim Perry

Thanks for your answer. The speakers are 8 ohms, and I'm thinking I want to cut out everything below about 300 Hz. According to a chart I found, that looks like about 70 uF. All of which I'd have never known if you and others hadn't helped me out by responding. Thank you.

David Ferree

Reply to
David Ferree

Have inline fuses been ruled out?

?s falke

Reply to
s falke

I've seen people selling crossover networks designed to go into speakers on eBay in a sub-category of Home Audio. One or two of these [with the right properties, of course] would do what you want.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner