Help re-wiring lights

I have an outlet controlled by a light switch in my bedroom that is never used. I would like to install some new recessed lighting that would be controlled by this light switch. I have very little electrical experience, so any suggestions on how this may be done based on this diagram would be very much appreciated.

Follow the link below for the diagram:

Thanks for any and all help

--Matt

Reply to
mlick2

I have some difficulty understanding your drawing.

Your best bet is to just run a cable from the switched outlet to your new fixture.

Frankly, the quick and dirty approach is to just run an extension cord from the switched outlet to your recessed lighting.

Reply to
John Gilmer

| I have an outlet controlled by a light switch in my bedroom that is | never used. I would like to install some new recessed lighting that | would be controlled by this light switch. I have very little | electrical experience, so any suggestions on how this may be done based | on this diagram would be very much appreciated.

Hire an electrician. Seriously. Things like this should only be done by people who have some experience with others watching, and understand electrical theory and the electrical code. Some carpentry work will be needed. And you will need to consider the heat coming from those lights.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

That is unsafe, and also not code compliant. The fixture needs to be wired in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. Also, it will be marked for a minimum 90c conductors. It is better to have a qualified electrician install it, so the job gets done right.

Ben Miller

Reply to
Ben Miller

Maybe.

If the "fixtures" are actually lamps then ...

Reply to
John Gilmer

If he is talking about cord-connected lamps then the extension cord will work, although a permanent receptacle in the area of the lamp is safer. His reference to "recessed lighting" leads me to believe these are permanent fixtures, however.

He could install an X10 outlet and use a wall switch transmitter to control it.

Ben Miller

Reply to
Ben Miller

Could be.

I have some "recessing lighting" that is just a bunch of $7 "under shelf" flourescent lamps with line cord. I put them on top of the bookcases that line the walls of the family room.

Frankly, as most of my outlets are GFCI protected, I believe that it's likely my "lamps" on top of the bookcase are just as safe as any hard wired lighting fixture (although I have some of them too.)

But when you "hard wire" you likely have to "steal" the power from a wall outlet circuit as not. By some readings that's a violation of the code. But just plugging in some lamps into an extention just isn't a violation.

I did some of that in my family room. It was fun to play with for a time. Frankly I got tired of it all and put a ceiling fan with 4 CFs and an illuminated base in the ceiling. That provides about as much room lighting as my make shift "recessed lighting" and it's quite obvious where you turn the lights on and off: it's the pull chain, stupid! Sometimes the old and simple ways are best!

Reply to
John Gilmer

What you are saying will work just fine; but, that would cost him more money then he might be willing to spend. It would be cheaper to just run a 14-2 (12-2 or whatever his "house?" was wired with) from the proposed recessed lighting to the switched outlet. From there, twist up the red (switchleg) to the black (fixture's switchleg), pigtail the neutral (don't use devices as junctions) and pigtail the ground. That will leave a hot, neutral, and ground for the replacement receptacle. Going this route is the least invasive to the building and still doing the job right. Again...he didn't say what kind of building he was living in so I don't know how his place was originally wired. I am going on the assumption that he is living in a house that was wired with romex.

Ben Miller wrote:

Reply to
Igor The Terrible