Home made VFD questions/help

I have a mini-lathe with an induction motor 0.8HP, it has a bulge on top housing a capacitor. Starting cap? Running cap?

I like to home-build a VFD as simple as possible. This is just an hobby, nothing fancy but the approach must be sound. I have skills in switching regulators, PFC etc. but not a good grasp on the motor technology and behavior when driven by a synthesized waveform.

I like to receive, from the experts on this NG, comments and suggestions on the validity of my basic design which is as described:

------------------------------ Bridge Rectify 120V to ~160V Peak rectifier with sufficiently large cap.

5000uF @ 250V

Invert by means of an "H" bridge with max duty cycle of 67% to produce the same VxSec as a 120V sine. Average Voltage (VxSec/0.5T) is what determines peak flux. I believe this is what the Motor "wants".

From this point either increase frequency to 90-120Hz at max duty cycle of

63% or reduce linearly frequency and Duty Cycle down to perhaps 2Hz and 2.2% Duty Cycle.

The pulse duration is constant at about 5.6mS in the 2-to-60 Hz region giving a constant V/Hz and will fall to 2.8mS at 120Hz maintaining a 67% duty cycle giving fixed V.

My questions: Is the basic plan safe for the Motor? Is a rectangular wave OK, bipolar pulses at constant amplitude variable Duty cycle? Have I left out something? What?

All figures are back of the envelope, at this point I am looking for a proof of concept.

Thank you for your help.

Mauro Gaetano

Reply to
MG

Operating the motor and connected load above its intended speed (i.e., above 60 Hz) invites centrifugal failure.

Reply to
Roby

Not sure this would work with a single phase motor. The capacitor was selected for the 60Hz supply for one.

The capacitor gives a phase shift that helps the motor start and increases efficiency while runing. John

Reply to
JohnR66

According to my recent call to allan bradley there ain't no single phase VFD's.

Reply to
electrician

Thanks to all for setting me straight. Bad idea, I guess I am stuck with changing belt slot. Mauro

Reply to
MG