Hot water heater on 208 vac?

I've got a 240 v. electric water heater and a need for a 208 v (single-phase) one.
What's the down-side of using this heater on 208 vac? Is lower temperature
all I have to be concerned about?
FBt
You can adjust the expected lower temperature by raising the themostat settings. So no problem

Water heaters are normally thermostatically controlled. The downside is that it will run at 75% of rated power, and therefore take 33% longer to get up to temperature. The upside is that the electrical parts will probably last longer than they would at 240V.
--
Andrew Gabriel

     snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) writes:

Another thing to check is that there isn't any other type of load other than the heater. For example, if there's a relay/contactor anywhere performing the high current switching, or a timeswitch, these items may not work properly on reduced voltage.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 00:18:16 -0800, the renowned Esther & Fester

No, with less power it will take longer to recover so your available gallons/liters of hot water at a given temperature over a given period of time will be much less.
Just swap the element assembly out, it's usually not a big deal-- they are maintenance items.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Slower heating more like,
If the themostat still works the final temperature will be the same.
--

Bye.
Jasen
jasen wrote:

But since the heating is proportional to power and voltage squared, you only have 2/3 of the heating, NOT 240/208ths.
--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073
----------------------------
wrote:

--------------- So it takes 33% longer to heat a given tankful of water. If demand is high, this can be a problem. Otherwise it may not be. Dealers choice- rate of heating vs cost of replacing the element.

remove the X to answer
For the last 14 years my (240v) HW system has run on voltages from around 205 to 220 due to a lousy elecricity supply - 1st HW heater lasted 9 years, (bad water too) and the replacement is still going strong.
David - who gets really annoyed when the volts drop so low his microwave can hardly boil water
Esther & Fester Bestertester wrote:

message

You could add a boost transformer for the microwave - 240 to 24.
--
.

If your "lousy electrcity supply" is due to the public utility, scream until they respond and fix it. However if the voltage drop is inside your residence, call an electrician immediately and turn off the water heater or keep the phone number of the fire department nearby.
quietguy wrote:

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:

??? ??????

metres from

Yes, but is 400 m too far away? 220 volts->max.1km (low voltage) 15kV->max 60 km (medium voltage) 150 kV->max 220 km?(high voltage) 400 kV->max 500 km?(extra high voltage) There are also power limitations-due to wire gauge (in LV) and in MV,in HV there are propagation and stability isssues.Has your utility checked your neutral connection?

I've been

nearer to

so I am

-- Tzortzakakis Dimitrios major in electrical engineering mechanized infantry reservist dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

In alt.engineering.electrical quietguy
| Thanks for the warning, but it is to do with the external supply - 400+ metres from | the tranny to my house results in a big drop when any heavy loads are on. I've been | complaining for years but their solution is for me to pay for a new pole nearer to | the house on which they will mount the tranny - but I will not wear that so I am | still working on them to do it FOC
Add a 2nd tranny at the original pole and wire in series to get double the voltage. Add a dry tranny at the house to drop the voltage back down to normal. You'll get 1/4 the voltage drop that way. Just make sure the service drop wires can handle the double voltage (most can go to 600V).
Kind of hard to beleive that it is 400M to nearest pole. Are you on a mid-span tap? I was able to convince FP&L to add a pole and avoid a midspan tap. They wanted me to run the drop across the property diagnally to still another pole and that would have precluded having a raised deck and a pool due to clearances. I talked them into it. Dropping a pole is not a huge expense. In your case they are providing you poorly regulated service. You should make a stink.
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:

Well no. I have a pole near the house, another pole about 30 metres away which houses the elec meters etc, then the line goes from that pole 400metres to a xformer on a pole near the roadway.
I had the line from the meter-containing-pole to the house upgraded when I installed an offpeak HWS, and had a new switchboard etc installed at that time
David

Nope - the line just comes from the pole near the road to my house.
David
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070109000203000206030903 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Can't they install a High Voltage step down transformer on the closest pole and extend HV to it from the pole further away?
quietguy wrote:

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:

Yep, if I remember correctly (and there is lots of doubt about that these days) one electricity guy suggested that some time ago - but said I would have to pay for the new poles - bugger that I reckon
David
PS: I do however wonder about the wisdom of extending high voltage lines across a farm - even with the 240v lines some guys kill themselves when they forget to check overhead when using tip trucks, augers etc.
But perhaps it wouldn't be any more of a hazard - any views on this?
message

IIRC they have to be run higher by code.
--
.

In alt.engineering.electrical quietguy
| PS: I do however wonder about the wisdom of extending high voltage lines | across a farm - even with the 240v lines some guys kill themselves when | they forget to check overhead when using tip trucks, augers etc.
I would not want to have anything more than 600v running across my property. It would be acceptable to put in a pole near the edge and run MV to it and run the LV down the pole and underground from there. If the house was far away, what I'd try to get is 480v or 600v on that underground feed and put a tranny in the house. How hard is it to meter 600v single phase with one CT.