How does a voltage regulator work?

I assume it adjusts the voltage in the field coil. Therefore, there is no way to adjust the output voltage of a permanent magnet generator other than by adjusting the speed of the rotor ./?

Reply to
Al Smith

You can control the voltage by having a coil around the magnet and controlling the field by saturation. Look up saturable reactors, the principle of saturation has MANY applications.

Reply to
user

You could add some capacitive or inductive reactance to the generator output.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Look up the term "shunt regulator". My motorcycles' voltage regulator controls output voltage by shunting un-needed current to ground thereby reducing the alternators' output voltage with the IR drop internal to the alternator. The alternator is a fixed (PM) field three- phase device connected directly to a 6 rectifier full wave bridge. ARM

Reply to
Alan McClure