How have you customized your life -- electronically?

I have installed two Radio Shack motion detector light systems, one over the garage door and one to replace the front entry light.
I have an unfinished project (waiting for my next retirement, layoff, or firing) to build a PIC-based lawn sprinkler controller that will link to a PC by some means (USB, serial port, wireless) and allow me to set watering schedules by a graphical calendar program running in the PC.

Our garden has a drip system with one 24 volt solenoid valve wired to a hand-twist mechanical timer switch. It takes about 400 milliseconds to give it a twist and get it going; twist harder if you want more water. No programming, and it's been absolutely reliable for about 10 years now.
John
On Apr 21, 10:09 am, John Larkin

My "new" (it replaced the 2 80's-vintage 6-station controllers that came with the house and never worked reliably) 12-station controller is now in the "Off" position, where it will be for about a week since we are having a rainy weekend.
?????? wrote:

(
modified
your
I made an automatic watering system with a Theben digital timer, 2 single phase 220 V relays and 2 solenoid valves,1/2 " and 3/4".The smaller gauge is for watering the lawn with sprinklers, and the large for the rest with dripping system.Working for more than 3 years flawlessly.There are Gardena battery powered watering timers but they need servicing almost every year.
-- Tzortzakakis Dimitrios major in electrical engineering mechanized infantry reservist dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
Richard Henry wrote:

I have a motion sensor controlled light in my driveway, another by the back door and one in the hallway, so I don't fall while looking for a light switch at night. Being half awake while leaning on a cane in the dark, is dangerous.
prove it.

My wife is blind. Yes, there are kitchen timers which are intended for the blind, but the one we had couldn't announce the time remaining- and you couldn't even check that you'd remembered to start it.
So I made one which gives different tone of beep depending on whether you've pressed the minute, ten-minute, or hour setting button, and which speaks the time remaining when you press a button. That's one PIC, one speech-storage chip, and a CMOS D-type.Current when not running is microamps.
I also made talking kitchen scales; disembowel cheap electronic scales, find a signal relating to weight, and again use a PIC and a speech storage chip. (Yes, you can get such things off the shelf.)
This has been a piece of own-trumpet-blowing by an old git in the east of England. Thank you for your forbearance. -- Mit der Dummheit kmpfen Gtter selbst vergebens.

We have a machanical twist timer. It ticks while it's running and goes DING! when it's done. You can locate it in the dark and easily feel the pointer position and get a good idea of how much time is left. In 15 years, we've never had to replace the batteries.
John
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:22:43 -0700, John Larkin

It's good to remind the electronics nut that there are other ways to solve problems! -- Mit der Dummheit kmpfen Gtter selbst vergebens.
keyboard and composed:

Admittedly it's very trivial, but my most recent fun with electronics was to hack a $40 DVD player based on a Sunplus chipset. I added a USB port to it and replaced its "Tevion" banner with a photo of my own.
- Franc Zabkar