Hz-to-volt -- and visa versa.

Hi:

Please don=92t get upset at me. I'm really interested in this.

I apologize profusely for posting something similar in a different thread. However, you will notice some difference as you read.

I=92m thinking of a theoretical device that switches frequency with peak- to-peak amplitude and visa versa in the following manner.

An electron volt is 1.602 =D7 10^-19 joules. Let=92s say the amplitude is measures in volts.

In my hypothetical device the input of a signal that has a frequency of A Hz and a peak-to-peak amplitude of B volts will result in the output of a signal that has a frequency of B Hz and a peak-to-peak amplitude of A x [1.602 =D7 10^-19 volts].

In this device, a higher peak-to-peak input voltage [whether or not it goes below the x-axis of a graph] will result in a higher output frequency.

A higher input voltage itself will not necessarily result in a higher output frequency than a lower input voltage. However, a higher peak-to- peak input voltage will result in a higher output frequency than a lower input peak-to-peak voltage.

Is such a device possible? If so, does it exist?

There are several applications I can think of for the aforementioned device:

  1. Transmitting/recording too high a frequency signal on a medium that does not have the bandwidth required to handle the high-frequency.

  1. Transmitting/recording too large and amplitude signal on a medium that does not have the dynamic range required to handle the large amplitude.

  2. Generating a higher-frequency signal from a bunch of lower- frequency signals.

Thanks

Reply to
GreenXenon

Go and talk to someone.