How do you define attenuation?

I'm trying to figure out if I have the correct definition of attenuation in mind. Right now I'm assuming attenuation means a weakening of a signal, or not as amplified relative to something else. So if there is a low-pass filter, which filters out the high frequencies, that means if it is given a high frequency signal, it would be attenuated, and it the filter would not attenuate low frequency signals as much?

Thanks,

- Eli

Reply to
Eli Luong

Here is a link on wikipedia about attenuation (look at electronics):

You are correct about the low pass filter attenuation high frequency signals. However the attenuation is not constant. For example a simple

1-pole Low-pass filter set at 1kHZ frequency attenuates the signal by 1/squareRoot(2) at 1000Hz. That is ~0.7.

That means if your input signal amplitude is 10volts with 1000Hz at the input, you get ~7volts amplitude at the output of that filter.

At 0Hz to about 800Hz the output will be a approximately constant @

10volts.

Above 1000Hz the output gets smaller with the same amplitude input signal.

For this example, at 10,000 Hz the output of the filter will be 1volt. At 100,000Hz, the amplitude at the output is 0.1volt.

A higher pole filter, for example a two-pole filter (set at 1000Hz), attenuates the signal faster as frequencies increase. At 1000Hz, the signal is still ~7volts at output (with input 10volts). But at 10,000 Hz the output of the 2-pole filter is 0.1volts, compared to 1volt of the one-pole filter.

Reply to
AverageGuy

Thank you. What I'm doing didn't need to go that much in-depth, but it's something interesting to know.

Reply to
Eli Luong