how to figure out HAZ in aluminium alloys

hi friends, can somebody help me out

in steel, microstructural changes in the HAZ defines the extent of HAZ, but in aluminium no such phase change take place, then how to figure out the HAZ in aluminium weldments.

Reply to
prabhakar

I venture to guess, grain growth, reduced hardness, and growth of precipitates, depending on the alloy and original condition such as heat treatment or cold work.

Reply to
Ipeak

So if we were to investigate this ourselves, we could look down a microscope at a polished and etched sample and look for grain growth (larger grains) - or we could do a micro-hardness traverse looking for hardness change on change in precipitates?

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

Thanks for your answer i guess precipitation of unwanted alloy could change the hardness in the HAZ and give solution to our problem. but grain growth may not be a possibilty i guess. i will check it out by carrying out a Al welding.

Reply to
prabhakar