Induction melting of steel - melting time calculation

Hi,
We're trying to size a small induction melting furnace (similar to those
used in the jewelry making industry) for our application and I was wondering
if anyone with some experience in this subject can help answer the following
question:
How long would it take to melt 3.5 lbs of 4140 Steel (2"Dia. x 4"L bar at
1600 deg. C, 7.8 g/cc) with a 10 KW medium frequency (10-30Khz) water-cooled
induction melting machine using the proper crucible (350 cc capacity)? Are
there any other factors missed here that would influence this calculation?
Here's a typical small melting furnace (this one is 9.5 KW):

Thanks in advance,
James
Reply to
James H.
water-cooled
It wouldnt take very long at all - The frequency you are using will give a small skin depth - probably more suitable to case hardening. The coil design is the crucial element and the amount of turns and volume of copper. Usually these systems adjust the frequency of the output depending upon the load (coupling). This can be a drawback depending upon how much flexibility you want from the machine(frequency control)....power factor correction capacitors are some help in changing the output frequency......
I can give you some detailed calcs if you require
Setanta
Reply to
Setanta
Please do. I am also equally interested in this subject, trying to make a tiny furnace to melt about 100-250 gms per shot.
TIA
Reply to
Ardent

Site Timeline