1kg Steel Melting Furnace on eBay

For those of you who might be interested, we just listed a new small steel melting induction furnace (1kg capacity, fast melt) on eBay, item #
200115158055. This unit can be run using household power. Here's the eBay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item 0115158055
Tim
    --Just outta curiosity does anyone know how much power it takes to melt 1kg in an induction furnace; i.e. what's the electric bill like?
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : I still miss
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : rock and roll...

Based on the nameplate rating in the picture on eBay it looks like it would be about 5KW, or about $0.50/hr to operate.
Regards, Bob Headrick
steamer wrote:

If you have to ask you can't afford it...
I heard the electric bill for one of our data centers runs about $250k... per month!
Pete C.
As mentioned by another poster, at 5kW and assuming $0.06 per kWh (as it is here in Vancouver), that would translate to about $0.30 per hour (yes that's 30 cents per hour). I'm not sure which system the 250k number is based on but I know that it takes almost nothing to run this small furnace - there are customers that run these machines in two 8 hour shifts every day in the jewelry industry.
Tim

According to the name plate pix it takes 22 amps on ordinary (220-230 V single-phase) residential current. At 11 cents/KWH that would be around 65 cents per hour.

like?
Melting cast iron with my induction furnace I recently used 3.8 kWh to melt a 3Kg ingot - having fitted a re-settable kWh meter to my 100kVA diesel generator I make a habit of resetting it before each melt. Obviously s/s will be more as the melting point is higher, although the latent heat of liquifaction may be a bit less.
AWEM

Where did you get it and how much did it cost?
Wes

100kVA
What? The ingot, or the generator, or the kWh meter, or the induction furnace. !
The answer to all of them is eBay, and loads of dosh ! (except the ingot thinking about it)
AWEM
    --Thanks for the numbers!
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : I still miss
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : rock and roll...

OK, here is a quote from a recent posting of mine in the electrocast group, that breaks down the figures:
Having fitted a digital resettable three phase kWh meter to my 100 kVA generator, I thought it would be amusing to see what sort of overall efficiency I'm running at in terms of electricity input to molten iron output.
A few assumptions:
1/ I melted approx 3kgs of white iron 2/ Ambient temperature was 13 deg C 3/ The iron melted at 1535 deg C 4/ It was super heated to 1635 deg C 5/ Specific heat of iron is 0.449 J/g degK 6/ Latent heat of liquifation of white iron is 138 KJ/Kg (suprising difference with grey iron at 95 KJ/Kg)
There are three phases:
a/ Raise iron from room temp to melting point b/ Stuff in enough energy to melt it overcoming the latent heat c/ Super heat by a further 100 deg C
By my calculations (but please check them)
a/ uses 0.569 Kwh b/ uses 0.115 Kwh c/ uses 0.012 Kwh
Thus a total at 100% efficiency should be 0.696 kWh I measured usage of 3.8 kWh so:
18.3% efficiency
Now of course heat is lost in the electronics, in the walls of the crucible, and in the various cables, but 18.3% is pretty staggeringly low I reckon, especially as it takes no account of the energy being piled into my water cooling plant, nor the 1 hp coolant circulating pump.
If I did the same calculations from the diesel in the generator tank to molten iron, and allowed for the other factors mentioned above as well I reckon I'd be down into single figures of efficiency !!!!
AWEM
Wed May 9, 2007 7:45 pm

Use Fixed Width Font