Induction melting of steel - melting time calculation

Hi,
We're trying to size a small induction melting furnace (similar to those
used in the jewelry making industry) for our application and I was wondering
if anyone with some experience in this subject can help answer the following
question:
How long would it take to melt 3.5 lbs of 4140 Steel (2"Dia. x 4"L bar at
1500 deg. C, 7.8 g/cc) with a 10 KW medium frequency (10-30Khz) water-cooled
induction melting machine using the proper crucible (350 cc capacity)? Are
there any other factors missed here that would influence this calculation?
Thanks in advance,
James
Reply to
James H.
water-cooled
The only thing I might be able to contribute is that the frequency you have at your disposal is too low for efficient operation for such a light load. You'd be far better served by a power supply in the 100Khz range, although this might work if you melt only large, solid objects. You'd probably have no luck starting with chips, or even small pieces.
Inductotherm published an article relating coreless induction furnace size to frequency, upon which I'm basing my opinion. If you can't locate the article (Foundry, September 1971), I have a reprint I'd be willing to scan and forward. Contact me on the side if you're interested.
Harold
Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Site Timeline