I can't site any references that you are asking for (without doing alot
of research, anyway).
I can speak from experience.
I have lived in apartments with aluminum wiring and I have found many
faulty terminations at duplex outlets, switches, and light fixtures.
Faulty terminations are usually "heard" as arcing when appliances are
plugged-in. I have seen way too many charred fixtures, outlets, and
switches for my taste. I have also found it difficult to find fixtures
rated for CO/AL (and I would have replaced all of these poorly
installed fixtures on my own dime had I been able to find CO/AL).
I have experienced a house-fire caused by faulty wiring -- copper
wiring. It seems that the contractor pulled the wire so tight that the
wire kinked and caused a hot-spot, that over the years finally ignited
the wood 2x4. (Fortunately no one was injured, and we did get a much
needed roof replacement, along with a new HVAC unit from the
I currently live in a house built in 1973 and it has aluminum wiring.
When we moved in 12 years ago, the first thing my wife and I did, was
to pigtail every aluminum termination with a wire-nut, a 3" piece of
copper wire (with the correct insulation color), and anti-oxidant
compound to fill the wire-nuts. I was very very careful not to nick
any aluminum and I very carefully sanded each termination with 600-grit
sandpaper. We then bought and installed brand new outlets and switches
(rated for copper). (We left most of the light fixtures alone.)
I have not had any problems with any of the stuff we replaced. In 12
years only one ceiling lamp fixture has caused problems when I put in
compact flourescent light bulbs. I had occasion to examine some of the
replacement outlets last year. Everything looked great. The only
'problem' I saw -- the anti-oxidant compound had become "gummy" in the
I don't know if what we did was "code", or "above code", but I feel
safer than if the house was wired, "pure" aluminum.
Hope this helps