Is this a bad idea, will inspector have a problem?

Twayne I'm not saying that no inspector would come to that conclusion but I am saying that no competent inspector enforcing the US National Electric Code would come to that conclusion. The shop lights are listed by a nationally recognized electrical testing laboratory as cord and plug connected devices. That puts them entirely beyond the authority of the local electrical inspector. The worst a fairly petty inspector could do would be to insist on the installation of a single hard wired lighting outlet to serve the interior of the garage. This is because the exception that permits the use of switch controlled receptacle outlets as lighting outlets does not apply to detached garages having electrical power.

-- Tom Horne

Reply to
Tom Horne

Going further than that, removing the cord and cap from a "shop light" and hard wiring it, would violate the listing.

Reply to
gfretwell