Is UL minimum listing temperature still -13 degrees F?

Several years ago at the Northwest International Association of Electrical Inspectors meeting in Anchorage, Alaska four UL engineers stated that the minimum temperature for listed equipment is -13 degrees F. When listed equipment is used at below this temperature UL basically said they have not evaluated the equipment, materials, etc.

This presents a problem for northern states especially for explosion proof equipment. For instance: sealoffs. There are probably over a million sealoffs on Alaska's North Slope used by the oil industry at Prudhoe Bay. Temperatures are well below -13 degrees F for many months a year. There are also the problem with composites such as PVC and fiberglass. Is -13 degrees still the minimum temperature. Has UL or other testing laboratories written a cold temperature standard?

Reply to
electrician

Perhaps you folks just need another listing category. Most of the US will do quite well with things that work at -13f. I am not sure 290 million people need to pay extra for products that are only needed where caribou outnumber people. I do agree products ned to be tested for the environment where they are used. As a practical matter, you ARE testing these things as we speak. How are they doing up there in Barrow and beyond? Maybe U/L should just put on their mittens and come see what you have.

Reply to
gfretwell

The company I work for just got dinged by UL cause our labels were only good for -20 C. I had to find labels that were good for -40C. Like that is going to happen anywhere in Arizona, our primary market.

Depends on what listing your after.

Reply to
SQLit

Oil fields are fun.

"We want to sell the product in Saudi Arabia and the Yukon. Is that a problem?"

Reply to
Matthew Beasley

Reply to
george_corinne