AC line measures 27V

Does anyone have any ideas about this. I am using a digital multi tester and am getting a reading of 27v on an 20amp ac circuit. I have

used this tester many times to measure circuits. I tested other outlets just to make sure the tester is functioning properly and I am getting about 122v. This line had old florescent lights connected to it. The lights didn't work well but I thought it was because they were

old. I also used a simple voltage tester (100-250v). The light does not come on but does when I use it on other outlets. I do have the tester set to AC. I am not reading mV. The line is coming from a junction box with several other wires. I do not have any other outlets

or lights that are not working. This is an old house with some updated

wiring

Reply to
canthonica

replace light switch

Reply to
TimPerry

It is possible that you have a bad neutral or bad connection aside from a bad light switch. Measure voltage from each conductor to ground with your high impedance voltmeter. They should be close to 120 and 0 respectively. That should indicated which side has a poor connection.

Bill

-- Fermez le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
canthonica

i once ran into a case where oxidized fuses dropped that much voltage. burnishing the contacts and fuses cured the problem (and burnt the chili simmering on the electric stove in another building)

Reply to
TimPerry

Could also be a phantom voltage caused by capacitive currents between wires. For example, capacitance between a hot and switch-leg run to an open switch can produce a small current that will result in a voltage reading on a high resistance digital meter measuring switch-leg to neutral. There would have to be no load (light bulb) on the circuit. Measuring the voltage with a low resistance meter or attaching a light bulb across the meter leads will make the voltage disappear.

bud--

Reply to
Bud--

Replaced the switch. All is well. Thanks to all.

Reply to
canthonica

you are welcome.

Reply to
TimPerry

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Now that you mention it, a good test would have been to put the voltmeter across the switch when it was in the on (and off) position. That is also a good way to check for open fuses.

Bill

-- Fermez le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg