Laser question

45 years ago I was in a bar in Chicago and they had a laser deal that plotted the 2 channels of the sound system as a Lissajous pattern on the back wall. I tried to make one using an old Neon laser and mirrors on speaker drivers about 40 years ago. It was almost working when the free used laser I had crapped out. Now that laser diodes cost less than a stick of gum I wanted to try again. What is the best way to steer the laser? Piezo crystal or some kind of mirror solution
Reply to
gfretwell

My first laser disc player was an industrial unit that came out of a "Dragon's Lair" upright video arcade game.

Inside of that was a HeNe laser tube on a mini light bench. It went through two mirrors before hitting the splitter/read head. Both were able to have their angle altered by the hardware They were 45 degree mirrors on a pivot in the center and had a magnet and a coil behind them. Electrical stimuluse in the coil moved the mirror.

I got a new, $2200 Pioneer LD player that year, so the old one became a playtoy for me.

So, I piped a sine wave into one and music into the other and made music patterns on the ceiling. It was not able to snap the trace back like an oscope does, but it did make great signatures on the wallboard.

So anyway, a few years back I bought two more players on ebay, and they were only $30 each. I no longer have my LDs or the players.

But my point is you can likely find one of the old industrial players and get the light table out of it. It already points up at the ceiling.

OR you need a mirror (two) with a pivot right behind the reflection surface. Then a coil centered right over that pivot, and a magnet for the coil to electro-motivate against. It has to be light in weight to be responsive.

There are likely some pretty cheap didode laser light manipulators out there already. I mean damn cheap. Most take music as a stimulus, but I am sure single tone pure waveforms pumped into it would work too.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno