Looking for a Mershon diagram

This diagram is used to find voltage drop in the Amercian Electrician's handbook in Section 72 of Chapter 3. I have looked for a full scale Mershon diagram for years.

Reply to
Gerald Newton

Which Edition?

--s falke

"Gerald Newt> This diagram is used to find voltage drop in the Amercian Electrician's

Reply to
s falke

It is in the 13th edition and was in many earlier editions. It is probably in the current edition.

Reply to
Gerald Newton

in article 1081699331.244266@prawn, Gerald Newton at snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote on 4/11/04 9:02 AM:

Instead of throwing out a name, please tell us what a Mersohon diagram is. It may be easy to plot it at any desirable scale(s) on a computer screen.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Rifle

Electrician's

It is used to calculate voltage drop for many materials not just copper when inductance cannot be neglected. The AEH has several pages on how to use this diagram that is shown in a 2.5 by 3 inch figure. It has a Cartesian coordinates and curves and uses these to find the voltage drop in a 10 step process as given in Section 74 of Chapter 3 of the 13 edition of the AEH. The equations for the curves are not given. I have never seen or heard of this diagram except for finding it in the AEH. I asked the electrical engineering department at the U of A about it about 20 years ago and they had never heard of it either. Google has nothing either, that I can find.

Reply to
Gerald Newton

in article 1081733311.224869@prawn, Gerald Newton at snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote on 4/11/04 6:28 PM:

This thing sounds like some kind of crutch for dumb engineers to use when the do not understand any circuit theory. For relatively short runs, why not just make a lumped 4-terminal circuit approximation of the piece of transmission line (as can be done for short lengths) and then calculate what happens using ordinary circuit theory?

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Rifle

There's a good reason it disappeared. IF you want a chart look up the one's that are in some of the older catalogs. I have a GE wire and cable catalog from the 60s that has good voltage drop charts ( by wire size and power factor). It also has details of hand taped splices ( no kits ). Always check catalogs before throwing them away, some have pretty good information in them. Joe McPartland has a magazine for a while in the early 90s he published all the voltage drop charts in them. Good luck in finding them. As fo rhte Mersohon diagram if I had time I think I could do one in Excell. It might be a good learning exercise but otherwise useless.

Reply to
BJ Conner