looking for way to determine position of magnet through thin plastic Digitally

I am looking for an easy way to determine the location of a magnet through a

1/16 thick piece of plastic. This possible locations of the magnet will be in about a 4-5 inch linear distance. I need to then report proportanaly where it is digitally to a basic stamp. What i have been conisdering is using 7-8 hall effect sensors which will give me the 7 or 8 levels of the magnet but i'd prefer better resolution or a method with less components. This is for measuring the level of fuel in a tank that can have nothing passing through the outer wall. Any suggestions are welcome.
Reply to
rkremser

an interesting project. perhaps you could use pickups with analog outputs that would give you a reading proportional to magnetic strength. this would give you a means to approximate the float level between any 2 sensors.

is the tank fixed in place? a vehicle mounted tank will add compications.

Reply to
TimPerry

"rkremser" wrote in news:4553885f$0$12070$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com:

Have you checked the Banner Engineering Catalog? Edmunds Scientific Catalog? Balluff Catalog, IMF Effector Catalog? There are many commercially available solutions to your problem.

Reply to
Anthony