magnetizing

I need to magnetize a screwdriver, can anyone tell me how?
Thanks

Sure: It's very easy.
Find a reasonably strong permanent magnet (the stronger the better). Rub the shaft of your screwdriver in the same direction at least 20 or more times. (In other words, if you are starting at the base of the shaft, place the magnet in close proximity and move it to the tip. Lift it off the tip and through the air, back to the base of the shaft. Repeat).
This will work with most steel, and steel-alloy screwdrivers. Some screwdrivers are deliberately made of non-magnetic material, however, for sensitive electronic adjustments.
Suitable permanent magnets are available from many sources. One company I have done business with is http://scientificsonline.com /
Beachcomber

I built a Mag/Demag Device by assembling a core, about 1" in dia., of 16p nails with the heads, and points cut off. I constructed a form, and wound a coil around the nails. A double throw switch allowed the coil to be fed with AC, or DC via a bridge rectifier, and a momentary contact switch to operate. A fuse, and a case for safety completed the unit.
Holding the ferrous metal implement very close to the core end, and operating the unit in the DC mode allowed for magnetization. Placing magnetized metal close to the core end, and turning on the coil in the AC mode while moving the magnetized metal slowly away while rotating the magnetized metal in a circular motion, a few feet away before turning off the coil, will do a good job of demagnetizing.
Louis

Take the strongest permanent magnet that you can find. Use one of the poles and rub on the shaft of the screwdriver from the midpoint to the tip several times.

There's a simple and cheap device you might find in a local hardware store or better yet an electrical outlet store. Just call and see if they have it in stock.
Or you can order it online:
http://www.tools-plus.com/hand-tools-screwdrivers.html