Maximum number of wires in one marrot

Hi I'm living in a condo, I just checked out some of the electrical work and found maybe 6 or more wires in one marrot. I hope i'm spelling
it write. This (marrot) connects to wires together by a screwing motion. I never seen this before, and don't believe it is safe. Anybody know for sure, so I get give my greasy land lord s*&% tomorrow.
Thanks in advance.
Are you talking about a wire nut?

-
Here is a link to what I call "wire nut". Is this what you are calling a marrot? If so, 6 wires are acceptable, provided that the wire sizes are equal to or less than the maximum number of wires allowed by the size of the wire nut. If there are signs of over heating, such as discolored wire insulation at the wire nut, or the plastic on the wire nut looks burned, then yes, contact the land lord. Wire nuts are safe, as long as they are used to code and manufacturer specs. Wire insulation cracking or peeling off is a sign of over heating too.

-
oops, I forgot to post the link.. sorry.. http://www.idealindustries.com/wt/TwistOnWireConnectors.nsf

-
Yes sir; That's what it is - a wire nut. I'll be sure to use the proper description for now on. But if you ever run into a Canuck and he asks for a orange marrot - give him a orange wire nut.
Thanks, my land lord is safe - for now.
Ok, Ill try to remember that! Thanks, and good luck, my northern friend..

-
On 10/2/06 6:10 PM, in article 1159837911 snipped-for-privacy@sp6iad.superfeed.net,

Do you mean a carrot? :=)
Bill -- Fermez le Bush

when i was first introduced to split bolt connectors i was told "this is a Kerney".
On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 10:59:02 -0400, "TimPerry"

Hmmm Wirenuts are confused with "carrots" and now we are talking about "Bugs" It is all making me Daffy. Is this becoming a Looney Tunes cartoon or what?
Usually spelled "Marrette" - used to be made by Marr Electric before they got absorbed by one of the US companies. A Marrette is a small Marr connector, and a Marr connector is not a "wire nut" (trade name of another company) but is a screw-on wire connector.
Bill ( the UK readers get all bothered when they read about our wire connectors....)

Cosmo wrote:

The maximum number of wires allowed would be determined by the size of the wires, and the size of the marette (we call them "wirenuts" here in the states).
6 wires might be perfectly acceptable, IF the connector is rated to handle that many of the size(s) used. Allowable wire numbers and sizes should be printed on the package the connector came in.
Bob Weiss N2IXK