Measuring Ohms Resistance

On 11 Oct 2003 14:02:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Harry Conover) Gave us:

You STILL don't get it. It isn't just some resistor which you hook up leads to and read the value of, dude.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On 11 Oct 2003 14:02:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Harry Conover) Gave us:

Poor guy.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On 11 Oct 2003 14:02:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Harry Conover) Gave us:

Cool!

Reply to
DarkMatter

Sorry, but it's a good try. You only rated a '4' on the DimBulb post-o-meter. Today's high is a '5'.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Exactly so. As I described at [

]:

"Another interesting challenge occurred when the prototype started acting strangely. Over the course of several hours, the bulk resistivity of the ultra-pure water ... would rise above the theoretical maximum of 18 Megohms per cubic centimeter, while the commercially available resistivity meter would show no change. ... As soon as a small amount of additional ultra-pure water was added, the reading would immediately go back to normal. I found that stirring the water made the problem go away - it only happened when the water was very still. It turns out that the ions in the ultra-pure water were moving away from one plate and collecting on the other plate. .. I programmed [my sysstem] to swap which plate was grounded and which plate was exited at each reading. At this point, the sensing system tracked the commercial meter perfectly."

Reply to
Guy Macon

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 20:45:45 -0400, Keith R. Williams Gave us:

With your quoting style, you are so dim, you probably don't even know who wrote it.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Interesting. And the above problem is pretty simple electrochemically speaking from what might be going on in the ground. There's everything from the ion migration problem to various salts, not to mention an old engine block and some construction scraps buried and rusting nearby, creating some stray galvanic currents.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Ah shucks. I only get to '1' on the "DimBulb response meter". I promise to try harder.

Style has little to do with you, though everyone has to pretend to be an expert on something. I'll let you play net-cop today, since you obviously know nothing else.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Again, here's the original post to which I replied:

"I have to meg a ground rod to see what the Ohms resistance is. How do I go about it? Can I use a fluke and measure the Ohms, and if so, how would I do it? Or do I need a megger? And if so, how do I do it? Code states that I can have only a maximum of 25, Ohms and I need to see what the Ohms reading is on the ground rod. Please delete RemoveThis in my email addy to reply by email. Thanks!"

If you consider resistance to be equivalent to impedance, you effectively peg your own DimBulb post-o-meter. Since I am sure that this is not what your post implies, it would be helpful if you would claify your point in this post.

Quite true that I am often a DimBulb, however the reason for that has nothing to do with resistance or impedance, but rather from being suckered into responding to still another brain dead troll from Anthony.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

[...]

Then too, only IBEW trained craftsmen would be inclined make this basic error.

Any first year EE student knows that conductivity is the inverse, not the opposite of resistance. Resistance = E/I. Conductivity = I/E. This is a reciprocal relationship, not an opposite.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

Yikes, Harry! I was commenting on DimBulb's idiocy, not you!

I have no comment about your experience or knowledge. THere is some history here.

Not *I*, you totally missed the point. DimBulb is the point.

Yikes, DimBulb == darksplatter == darkmatter. He has no idea how a lightbulb works, so he has earned the "DimBulb" moniker. Please take things in context! Sheesh!

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Keith, sorry about that bit of confusion. The explanation is that I post using Google, and for some reason DimBulb's post never appear on Google (perhaps he has "No Archive" set, or for some other reason). Perhaps this is a blessing in itself, but still I mistakenly took your post to address me. Since I've followed your excellent technical posts here for a number of years, this one sort of puzzled me! :-)

I'm truly sorry that the post was repeated several times. This was due to Google sending me repeated "server error" problems, which resulted in me trying repeatedly. (Google has been acting very flakey of late.)

Again, sorry for my confusion.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

No problem. Peace!

Ugh! Though DimBulb purposely makes his posts transparent to Google, so it shouldn't be a surprise that such misunderstandings creep in. OTOH, perhaps Google isn't such a bad thing, given the absence of DimBulb! ;-)/2

Bingo!

Well, I wouldn't say it's a justification for using Google for Usenet connection, but you do have a point. ;-)

Aw shucks. I'm here to learn. I've gotten too far away from the real electronics (I do processor verification by day).

We've all had such problems. Repeats aren't the issue. It's the DimBulbs who answer in four (you only scored a '4') or five

*different* articles to the same article who have the mental problem. (...and Dimmie accuses others of Usenettiquite violations, LOL)

No problem. Next time maybe we'll have something to disagree about. ;-)

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Zathera,

I have read a number of your posts offering advice to others connected with serious electrical safety issues. My suggestion is that you get off crack or whatever mind enhancing drugs you are using. If it is not drugs then you need to complete high school.

Regards,

John Phillips

Reply to
John Phillips