Metal Tracks for On-wall Wiring

Do they have metal-tracks for on the walls, electrical wiring that no longer
uses the box, but has something into which you can plug directly into the
track? I feel i have seen them somewhere?
I am going to have a conpleted house wired that has no electricity, and if
such an out-side-the-wall-track exists i would like to consider the cost
of using the tracks in some of the rooms or even all of the rooms.
How does the Govt. inspector inspect the electrical wiring in such a house
that has been wired conventionally (inside the walls), when the walls are
not open. How does he see behind closed walls?
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 -
formatting link
The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Opinion Seeker
Loading thread data ...
HI, I don't really understand what your asking but if you are asking whether or not you can have a "power rail" (a unit which has many electrical outlets, usually in a long box made from metal or plastic. Not be confused with a multi-outlet power board that plugs into a socket).
You could use a power rail but then this leaves you with a source of power in only one section of the room. Wouldn't you be better off distributing the power outlets if you feel that you really need so many points?
As for regulations, it depends on your area.
For example, here in Australia, we need to have all general power oultets protected by an RCD (residual Current Device) and all Active (sometimes known as "hot" or live) concutors must be switched. This could be a master switch for all the oultets on the rail or one for each outlet. Neutral do not need to be switched.
The main use we have for power rails is in communications racks, where many devices need to be powered and also be protected by a dedicated UPS.
On the other hand, you may also be thinking of skirting or wall ducting which is commonly seen in offices. This usually is a metal trunking system that houses all power cables (and quite often communications cables as well) and the outlest can be fixed to the ducting in such a way that it provides a neat and funcitonal system. This is used because cable access in such places can be extremely difficult *AND* it is really very simple to put another outlet on the ducting as opposed to having to drill the wall, fish cables and perfom junctions in the ceiling space.
Search for "Cable duct systems" on google.
I hope this has answered your question.
Brett M.
Reply to
Sorry, I just read the last part of your post about testing.
I can only draw forom what i know of australian testing methods which are fairly strict (as they should be) to maintain a high level of safety for the user.
The inspector will check visually every outlet point in the house. They will check them for cracks, if they are loose on the wall etc. The same goes for light switches etc.
To check cabling inside cavities, the inspector uses an instrument called a 'high voltage insulation resistance tester' to check that the insulation resistance of the current carrying cables is ok. The cable are subjetc to a high DC voltage and a reading (in Meg Ohms) is obtained. Basically this means that if there is a defect in the insulation of a cable that could cause a problem, then he will probable detect it. This is not a foolproof test and as such should not be considered the be all and end all of fault finding.
A main earth resistance reading is taken. IN Australia, the main earth must not exceed 0.5 ohms.
The inspector probably will (and should) conductact and earth loop impedance test as well.
The equipotential bond of the earth must be cheched and rechecked.
The installing electrician should perform these checks and is required to do so by Australian Law.
If you had any trouble grasping the testin proceedures outlined above, then you must not perform the work. I don't know where you are, but I am willing to bet that it is against the law to perform any work on fixed wiring without an electrical licesense.
I know you are not qualified or you wouldn't be asking these questions.
I take absoultely no responsibility if this information is not applicable to your area and/or you get injured as a result of being misinformed.
Reply to
Where are you located?
In an old (30+ years perhaps) British DIY book I have, they show a hobby/crafts room with what looks like lighting track above the bench, but with power cords for electric tools connected to it as well as lights.
But this is on the ceiling, where accidental contact with the live track is less likely than if it were on the wall.
And electrical codes vary from place to place and are continually getting tightened up. It may be that such installations are no longer permitted in UK either.
On 10/23/05 10:01 am Opinion Seeker tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:
Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy
Here in the USA, the NEC allows 'Metal Wireways' in some installations. Google 'Wiremold' (one brand name).
In the future, the OP (and everyone else) should be clear about where they are posting from and those who reply should qualify their replies by identifying their location (as you did). Quite a bit of misunderstanding originates from rule differences.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.
On 10/25/05 09:32 pm Paul Hovnanian P.E. tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:
I am now in the USA myself and am familar with Wiremold, but what I was describing looked more like the "Lazer" (perhaps a Lowe's store brand) lighting track that does not have a limited number of specific connection points but allows lights to be attached anywhere along its length.
Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.