Practical Hydrogen Engine

Practical Hydrogen Engine: An engine that uses hydrogen, or hydrogen and oxygen for fuel would stop the polution of the atmosphere and slow down global warming. The main problem is that at the present hydrogen is too expensive. The cheapest way to get hydrogen now is from natural gas and that still has carbons in it, so that would not produce the clean exhaust that you would want. Possible hydrogen engines for cars could be the internal combustion engine or the turbo jet engine or electric engines using fuel cells. A way to make these practical could be to retrieve the coasting kinetic energy of the vehicle by having a braking system attached to electric generators. The coasting energy is transformed into electrical energy which is used in electrolysis on water to convert that water into hydrogen and oxygen, and then feed that hydrogen and oxygen into the engine for fuel. Using this system you could make the engine using hydrogen practical for average drivers, by keeping the cost of the hydrogen that they would need down. As with the electric/gas hybrid cars, the coasting energy could be retrieved by having a breaking system that uses an electric generator attached, and that coasting kinetic energy could be changed into electrical energy for use in separating the hydrogen and oxygen. That hydrogen and oxygen would be fed into the engine for fuel. The hydrogen and oxygen mixture should produce larger explosions in the cylinders or higher air velocity in a combustion chamber (turbo-jet), with smaller amounts of hydrogen, then what you would get with a hydrogen/air mixture, increasing the effiiciency of the engine.

[The toyota electric gasoline hybrid car, with a breaking system attached to an electrical generator which is connected to a large battery, can now save about $7,500 on the price of gasoline, throughout the life of the car.]

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
stone

Well, there's 8 seconds of my life that I'll never get back. Your point is?

Reply to
Bill Shymanski

OK, but where do you think the majority of Hydrogen comes from?

Natural gas.

And you still get emissions from the conversion of natural gas to hydrogen.

Oh, you could use water, but this is VERY expensive as it takes a lot of electricity. (And guess what most electricity is made from just now in a lot of the world. Yup, natural gas.)

So why not just burn natural gas? Well, it is a lot more dangerous that either hydrogen or gasoline. And natural gas is ideal for home heating

- virtually no emissions from the exhaust, and very little tuning of the burner required to maintain that situation. Whereas electricity generating stations can use coal or nuclear as there is just the one smokestack and the emissions can relatively easily be cleaned up (for coal).

Nuclear is the answer. Sorry, but sometimes life is just a bitch.

H.

Reply to
Rowbotth

top posting: Isn't there some kind of catalyst that could be used to separate the hydrogen and oxygen from the water using less electrical energy?

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
stone

Fusion is the answer, but after 50 years of waiting I have given up hope that I might see it in my lifetime.

His quote about how much the hybrid can save needs to be adjusted too. Those savings only exist for slow city driving if they do not use a heater or air conditioner. For highway driving a conventional engine can equal or even exceed their mileage. When I was very young I had this bright idea of putting generators on the wheels of the car and then using their output to drive an electic motor to propell the car. Then that damn Newton went and ruined my idea.

.

____________________________________________________________________________ __

Reply to
Rich256

Yup. It's called snake oil.

Reply to
ehsjr

Tut, tut, tut. It is called "reptile lubricant".

"Snake oil" scares the lawyers.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

in article 3zNke.346$Li3.11@trndny05, ehsjr at snipped-for-privacy@bellatlantic.net wrote on 5/24/05 3:05 PM:

Catalysts do not change energetics. The change reaction rates.

There are catalysts that will allow quick reaction between hydrogen and oxygen. They are used for heaters that will not produce carbon monoxide. Typically, such a catalyst is a platinum group metal just like the snake oil used for cold fusion. Cigar lighters using this principle date back to Napoleonic times.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Rifle

You might do a search of the sci.energy or sci.energy.hydrogen newsgroups. The issue has been chewed over thoroughly. It takes too much energy to get the hydrogen. Hydrogen is too hard to store and it doesn't pack much energy per unit of volume.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

To the OP:

Try doing a google search for:

aluminium hydrogen engine

catalyst hydrogen engine

resonant hydrogen engine

aluminum hydrogen engine (aluminium spelt the American way)

You'll find lots of interesting material they don't teach at Uni.

Sig: Work saves us from three great evils: boredom, vice and need. -Voltaire, philosopher (1694-1778)

Reply to
Rotes Sapiens