Meter Seal Tags

I am a homeowner (not electrician) and I need to add a circuit to my main 125 amp panel which is adjacent to the electric meter can. Out of an abundence of caution (1) I would like to pull the meter which will of course break the seal tag. I can of course shut off the main disconnect, and accomplish same wiring, but the proximity of the service wires in the cabinet is close to where my new circuit must be run.

What are the policies of the power company, in this case Progress Energy (Florida) as to homeowners removing the meter and requesting a new seal?

(1) I read the articles about flash burns on Electrician.com!

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Call them and ask. Some utilities USED to come out and remove a meter and then reinstall it. Now days the ones I work around require a permit and clearance from the authority having juristiction for such work. Worse is pull the meter this morning and you might get power in a day or two.

Reply to
SQLit

You are performing a much riskier operation by pulling the meter than by plugging in a new breaker. If you can't handle working in the panel, don't mess with the meter.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I agree with Paul. If you just trip the main the panel is a lot safer than opening the meter base.

Now if you are fishing and are really looking at a service upgrade, call the county, get a $35 permit (the county is usually OK) and then tell the POCO what you are doing. They will help you too. FPL didn't even charge me for the new 200a meter can. I do a lot of "owner builder" things here in Lee County Fla and the inspectors are very helpful. The Florida law recognizes "owner builder" for do it yourself folks. No unions I guess

Reply to
gfretwell

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**