How many amperes on elec. meter?

Can anyone tell # of amperes from the following information on this meter?

Schlumberger watthour meter CL 200

240V 3W J5 S-1 30TA 7.2kh Rr 27 7/9

Thanks. kaci

Reply to
kaci
200

Schlumberger watthour meter CL 200

240V 3W J5 S-1 30TA 7.2kh Rr 27 7/9

Thanks. kaci

Reply to
Brian

From that information you can discover the maximum rated current (200 amperes). Is that what you are looking for?

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

I am looking for information that shows that the current going into the house is more than 60 amperes. I'm buying this house, getting insurance for it, the insurance inspector comes out and looks at the meter housing box and says it's 60 amps and I need 100 amps or they won't insure. I looked up this make & model of meter and it was made from 1975-2004, so I would think it has more than 60 amps but because I can't get back into the house until after closing I can't be sure. kaci

Reply to
kaci

A 200 amp meter does NOT mean you have a 200 amp service. If the meter base is round and basically the same size (diameter) as the meter, then you have a 60 amp service. If the meter base is rectangular (a box with the meter plugged into it) then it is likely a 100 amp or 200 amp service.

The "vintage" of the meter is no help at all. It could have been changed several times since the house was built.

If the inspector told you that you have a 60amp service, he/she is probably correct.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

Can anyone state what these numbers on the last two lines mean if significant?

The service rating depends more on the wire size of the cable leading through the meter box into the circuit breaker/fuse box and the rating of its main breaker and of the box itself. What age is the house itself? About what diameter was the cable leading into/out of the meter box? Fusebox or circuit breakers? I'd say if the inspector says it's 60A, it's probably 60A. Either set aside money for a service upgrade or (better yet) convince the seller to do so as a condition of sale.

Reply to
Michael Moroney

30TA is the recommended full load test amps 7.2kH is the pulse constant Rr is the register ratio

None of this matters unless you test revenue meters.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

The house was built in the late 50s. I am trying to get a key from the broker so the electrician can go in and evaluate the service. Right now he's guessing 60 amp from what he sees outside. (The house next door has the same type of meter box and wiring but has a 125 amp breaker inside-- I think my house will too.) But whatever the amperage the wiring in the drop? (drip?) loop is rather frayed so I'm prepared to pay for an upgrade anyway. I've gotten a reasonable quote and it will be worth it for my peace of mind. Thanks all, for your help. kaci

Reply to
kaci

My first house had a 60 amp meter base with a 125 amp panel inside. This is a no-no and should be corrected. You do not want a 125 amp panel fed from a

60 amp meter base. The meter base was only rated to carry 60 amps, and that was when it was new. I have seen 60 amp bases fall apart in your hands when trying to remove a meter (I have had this happen to me). When I worked for a utility, I hated to see a 60 amp meter base.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

That doesn't mean much - my house was at one point "upgraded" from a fuse box to a 100A circuit breaker box, with a 100A main breaker. Problem was, they never upgraded the 1940s era 60A feed and meter socket. I had the home inspected when I bought it and the inspector correctly indicated a

60A service & the 100A main breaker was wrong. I bought the house anyway, and have since had it upgraded to 200A service.
Reply to
Michael Moroney