Modeling Solar Cells

I'm working on a circuit using solar cells, but I'm not sure exactly how to model them. Are they a current device with limited voltage or voltage device with
limited current? I'm thinking that they are a little of both depending upon whether they are in sunlight or darkness. If you can explain this to me or point me to a website reference I will be most appreciative.
Thanks, Richard