Solar Cooking

I don't know which one works the best, but here's a wide variety of solar cookers, from simple to complex.

Have your bbqs on your own solar cooker. Impress your neighbors

Im sure you machinist types can cook up better ones

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I always wanted to convert an old 8'-12' TV satellite antenna to a solar cooker, being a pretty accurate parabola, I imagine. Anyone here ever done it?

Reply to
Ray

||Gunner wrote in ||news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: || ||> ||> ||> I don't know which one works the best, but here's a wide variety of ||> solar cookers, from simple to complex. ||> ||>

Hey Gunner, welcome back.

Converting old dishes for solar heating is a frequent topic on the alt.solar NGs. Google it up and you will have a lot of info.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

just cover the surface with shiny aluminum foil and mount something to hold your pot at the focal point. Use a dark pot.

John

Reply to
john

Drawing a light vacuum on a silver mylar "drum head" on a round wash tub will generate a catenary curve which is very close to a parabola.

Should be able to suck it to shape instead of having a pump. "Wash tub" only has to be as deep as the mylar dips. Might be easier to handle.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Stan-

Reply to
Stanley Dornfeld

PrecisionMachinisT

Liquid sodium, a 10 Mw power generation site :

PrecisionMachinisT

When I was a kid (35 years ago) I bought a book from the school bookmobile on solar cooking. The reflector they had plans for used cardboard wedges covered with aluminum foil. The dish was about 4 feet across and had a focal spot about 1 foot in diameter.

Reply to
Rick

Reminds me of an SF story:

--=20

-JN-

Reply to
J. Nielsen

"Stanley Dornfeld" wrote: Drawing a light vacuum on a silver mylar "drum head" on a round wash tub will generate a catenary curve which is very close to a parabola. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "Sorry, folks, dinner will be a little late. My vacuum system has a slow leak, and my oven went out of focus."

Reply to
Leo Lichtman