resource for tapping and die-ing

ok, i just read the threads on buying a tap and die set, and of course i'm always looking for new toys to play with. what is a good resource to start with that explains tap and dies and how to use them?

thanks in advance

cus

Reply to
CusMarsh

Here is some technical info on taps :

A nice begginers guide to taps and how they work.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
AZOTIC

Cus sez:> ok, i just read the threads on buying a tap and die set, and of course i'm

Cus,

Your tacky offer of "thanks in advance" places a very low premium on any information that may be forthcoming. Therefore, I decline to participate in your troll-like ploy for attention. There is no doubt, however, there are many others that will accede to your request. So, standby and prepare to be innundated with information ... you pick that which may be reliable.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Somebody piss in your cornflakes?

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Yeah.. What the hang? I use "thanks in advance" merely as a courtesy. What's the big deal?

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Isn't somebody going to give this guy a reference to a book like moltrecht, or maybe that MIT web site on machining?

Really one only needs to know a few things to use taps and dies.

1) start out using the cheapest ones you can. Because you break a bunch of them. 2) then carefully read the tap drill diameter tables in the Starrett catalog, and realize that the tap drill diameter is much bigger than the minor (root) diameter of the thread. You can get away with 50 percent threads if you are tapping nobendium or whatever.

Then go and buy the *best* possible taps and dies after that, greenfield or sossner.

Really what he wants to know is more about thread cutting and thread forms in general. I tend to glean most of that information from older books found in yard sales or used bookshops. Thread cutting and thread forms haven't changed in ages. This really tends to be sort of technical archeology and allows on to spend afternoons reading books with photos in them of machinists wearing stripey aprons and skimmers, running flat-belt driven machinery. But you do learn the terminology which is half the issue, like minor diameter, major diameter, tap drill size, the various types of taps, etc.

At first I though 'god, everyone just *knows* how to use a tap and die.' Then I thought back to my first time, when I busted three taps off quite neatly in the same brass buss bar in one of my first summer jobs. Then the boss patienty took me aside and said, "here, you do it like this...."

The term "thanks in advance" is really a very common business letter closing.

Jim

jim rozen

Robin sez:

There's no "big deal", except that the curt, "thanks in advance" has a ring of finality to it, IMO. Again, and IMO, it is less "put-offish" to use no closing at all.

Bob (OAMO) Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

See if your library has some books on machine shop practise. There is a lot to using taps and dies and getting good results. Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

Sounds pretty anal to me. I'm sure with a bit of effort you can find something to complain about in any message.

I use TIA when to indicate I'm really looking for an answer especially when the question could possibly be interpreted as critical.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

The second to the last paragraph is what I was thinking and then I first looked , and it turns bad. I had basically gave up on the simple questions cause ya'll usually cover about everything. More than I know and why bother when it will get over kill from people that do this stuff all the time and can describe it very effectively.

Reminds me of that ahhh Tim W. thread about who has a good eye. And this kid in my shop.

The kid wants to chase threads on his bike and I tried to help and he said he knows what to do. He screwed up the bike. Had no idea about TPI or anything , but thought plain determination would do.

Troll or plain asking , I don't know. Sometimes you just have to go for it and get it perpendicular by hand. Which gets to Tim's thread. There are a lot of people that can't handle a blasted picture on the wall.

I don't have a lot of books or tools , but I've never seen in print how to start them straight by hand. I just look back and forth at 90 degrees. And never crank on them , back off and clean off , and oil kind of stuff.

Sure he didn't describe how in depth and I know it can get down right technical , but ya'll missed the simple stuff.

Where does thanks in advance and afterwards fit in? He maybe right , will the OP come back?

Reply to
Sunworshiper