Need to train up some electrical noobs

I have in my team (facilities management) a couple of people who have no electrical or craft background. I want to put together a curriculum to pass on some electrical theory so they can handle repair of electrical faults. Passing on the craft skills is an easier matter but they will need some electrical knowledge too.

I'm not an educator so where do I start in teaching them the fundamentals of electrical craft theory.

Any ideas where to start please?

The Head of Faculty at the local CofFE.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

There are a bunch of beginner texts out there, that start at electron theory, and work through simple circuitry, and basic theory. Using one is a way to have a ready-made classroom format. The one I picked up thirty years ago, and still have on the shelf, is "Electricty One-Seven", by edited by Harry Mileaf, published by Hayden Books. In my experience, using a hydraulic analogy to describe basic electrical phenomena is extremely useful, as long as the student understands that it is just analogy.

Reply to
Long Ranger

"electrical craft theory?" Try an 8,000 hour IBEW apprenticeship program. That might get them to journeyman level. You sound pretty naive to me. May I suggest you start by reviewing some of my material at

(formerly electrician.com). I have 43 years of experience and am still learning. You don't learn this stuff over night or in 1 year, 2 years or 4 years. It takes about 5 years to get started.

Reply to
electrician

8 Any ideas where to start please?

Yes. Hire qualified electricians you weasily cheapskate, and don't dice with others' safety.

HTH, HAND

Tim

Reply to
Tim Dunne

Look for your local technical college which does the City & Guilds electrical courses. A good simple starting point would be the PAT testing courses and exams, which take 2 days, and are intended to be achievable by non-electricians. The prerequisits would be the ability to wire a plug correctly, and knowing the difference between megohms and milliohms. After that, you could move on to the 16th edition regs, and possibly even Part 1 -- talk this through with the college. These can often be done as either day release, or night classes.

However, note that if they really have no electrical background, they won't get very far without working under the supervision of someone who has, and doing that only in the classroom is going to be rather unsatisfactory, long winded, and expensive.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

To hell with colleges. If you send them there, send them there for their math and physics to compliment and fortify their apprenticeship training. Colleges are better suited for teaching electrical theory at engineering levels where students can some get hands on in a lab. So far as wiring, bending EMT, troubleshooting, mods, etc... the only practical and realistic place to learn the trade is on the job in the real world...period.

Reply to
Igor The Terrible

Repair faults WHERE? What are the licensing and certification requirements for such work?

There must be some trade schools over there that can offer the curriculum needed. But first, make sure you understand what the legal requirements are.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Ah. No wonder my old bookmark didn't work. Now I can point newbies to the cheat-sheet again.

lower right-hand button will need a massage.)

Reply to
JeffM