Neher-McGrath Paper

Do you know where I can get a copy of the Neher-McGrath paper?

Greg.

Reply to
Gregory Cohen

The NM paper is AIEE Paper 57-660 It is in the journals of the American Electrical Engineering Institute, as I recall. This is now called the IEEE. Try your local university library, IEEE, or

I know the University of Alaska Fairbanks has it. I would put it online except the IEEE would go ballistic.

Reply to
Mr. Smith

In the circular file under his desk.

Reply to
Dennis

Reply to
Gregory Cohen

With emissitivity = .2 (allowed by the NM paper) and using a lay factor 1.02 multiplier (allowed by NM paper) for the rdc resistance of 203.4 microhms I = 206 amperes. This is for one conductor in free air, XHHW size No. 2 copper. Table 310.17 gives a free air ampacity of 190 amperes, but the table lists several insulations for this. It is my guess is that the minimum for all the listed insulations rounded off to the nearest 5 amperes is 190 amperes. Additionally, Table 310.17 was not derived using the NM equation, but probably was extrapolated using the values found in Table 310.16 using the equation found in the 1938 Rosch Paper.

Reply to
Mr. Smith