Oil filled transformer breathers

What is the best temperature to dry out silica gel crystals that are in the breathers, and how long to keep in oven? TIA

Reply to
BIGEYE

"BIGEYE" wrote in news:y8wWb.2186$ snipped-for-privacy@stones.force.net:

I wasn't aware that the gel could be salvaged. We change it with fresh stuff when needed. I'm not sure the exact price but a gallon pail of it isn't that expensive. I thought there was some sort of chemical change in the gel and it couldn't be used again. Most Tx's I've seen (up to 10MVA) don't take more than 2 pails.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:17:29 GMT Bill wrote: | "BIGEYE" wrote in | news:y8wWb.2186$ snipped-for-privacy@stones.force.net: | |> What is the best temperature to dry out silica gel crystals that are |> in the breathers, and how long to keep in oven? |> TIA |> |> |> | | I wasn't aware that the gel could be salvaged. We change it with fresh | stuff when needed. I'm not sure the exact price but a gallon pail of it | isn't that expensive. I thought there was some sort of chemical change in | the gel and it couldn't be used again. Most Tx's I've seen (up to 10MVA) | don't take more than 2 pails.

I'm not sure about the oil drying gel, as the oil contact could affect things. But in some other situations, where the gel is only in contact with air and moisture, the gel can be dried out and reused. The process of doing that, though, is probably not cost effective.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam