old article on reverse engineering

I'm trying to find an article I probably read in the late 80's or early 90's, possibly in Science, that talked about how knowing everything about what an electrical circuit DOES (a complete description of its activities) provides no clue in itself about what the circuit is FOR (the function within a larger scheme). It compared that with understanding brain circuits. Can anyone point me to it, please?

Mouserancher

Reply to
mouserancher