Online course

Hi, I want to take up an online electrician course. How far do I need to go if I want to qualify to install wiring etc. Any recommended online courses? I don't want to do an engineers course; from what I've read in hear it seeems it's all about electronic circuits than electrical. I already have been installing pipes and wiring in my units so I have some knowledge that I have gleaned from Black and Deckers Complete guide to home wiring. tia req

Reply to
reqluq

You need to say where in the World you are...

What "units"?

In the UK there is no such thing as "qualify to install wiring" courses, in respect of domestic wiring. There are courses that cover the theory and practice, but the idea is that companies are "qualified" to self-certify domestic wiring and not individuals.

There is the C&G 2400, 2381, 2391 and other C&G that will cover the theory and practice. I don't know of any that can be done by distance learning.

But the Current Wiring Regulations and other books like Scaddan's Design and Verification of Electrical Installations, et al - are possibly better reading than "Black and Decker" - but I have never read that one..

Reply to
Palindrome

Bahamas

Apartment units, or in your case I guess; flats

Yes but the company has to send a *qualified* * someone* or a *qualified*

*individual* out to do the work, I want to be that qualified someone... that qualified individual... that can do the work..even if I own the company. So I need an course (preferably online) to qualify me. Is it really that hard to understand what I am asking? I mean I appreciate the help but sheesh.

Here are a thousand of them:

'mjust looking for the best and most honest one.> But the Current Wiring Regulations and other books like Scaddan's Designand Verification of Electrical Installations, et al - are possibly betterreading than "Black and Decker" - but I have never read that one..Thanks I'll have a look.req

Reply to
reqluq

The system in the UK is, admittedly, wierd. A company has to have a Qualified Supervisor. He has to meet certain standards of knowledge but there are no *specific* courses that he has had to attend.

The firm, with a Qualified Supervisor will then be a "competent person" to do wiring:

The actual person doing the wiring needs no qualifications at all, specific or unspecific. He could have been at school the previous week.. The Qualified Supervisor supervises the work but doesn't necessarily do any of it.

As an individual, with a company, you need to be the Qualified Supervisor and then supervise your own work. Your company is the "competent person".

So, you could pick any or all of the courses mentioned under Qualified Supervisor. Even if you completed them all - you still wouldn't be a Qualified Supervisor until you had been assessed. The courses, of themselves, wouldn't make you a qualified person able to self-certificate wiring. Only the actual assessment can do that.

'mjust looking for the best and most honest one.> But the Current Wiring Regulations and other books like Scaddan's Designand Verification of Electrical Installations, et al - are possibly betterreading than "Black and Decker" - but I have never read that one..Thanks I'll have a look.req

Reply to
Palindrome

It is impossible for an on-line course to properly qualify you. You need supervised hands-on to gain the skill to be an electrician. My guess is that most places in the world would require that. A friend of mine just got his license. He told me that the requirement was 7 years apprenticeship in New York state. Passing a test demonstrates that you have the book-learning; the apprenticeship gives you the skill, and proving that you have had that apprenticeship and passing the test satisfies the licensing authorities. An on-line course may give you the book learning, but no way it will give you the skill.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Ok I want to be the Qualified supervisor..I don't actually do the work here either. I just show the hired hand where to open in the wall/dig etc..

Yes and they have to competently send out a qualified person to supervise the work.

I don't mind being assessed..

'm

Reply to
reqluq

Thanks Ed but... if...you...read...my... post... you would see that I HAVE been doing installations already, so I need some theory ...It's like: I can repair computers but want to go and do the A+ just to have the qualification or the paper so to speak...I don't need it because i can repair and build my own or any other just as well as the next man..but would want the certificate. Once again; I know how to cut open walls; install pipes and pull wires; install panels, run the corect gauge to the correct circuit breaker etc. req

Reply to
reqluq

Being A QS is not that easy, a minimum of C&G2361/2,2381,2391 are required and ideally 2400. The NICEIC QS assessment is an all day one on one and you need an indepth knowledge of electricial theory and practical experiance to pass.

It's not rocket science............yet

Reply to
gavin

I did read your post. Here's what I got from it: You want to know what on-line course would qualify you to install wiring. You've gleaned some knowledge from "Black and Deckers Complete guide to home wiring." You already have been installing pipes and wiring.

You conclude that you have the necessary skill and experience, and just need more book learning.

Does the licensing authority in the Bahamas agree?

You seem to think you need to convince me - but whether I think you are qualified or not has no weight with the licensing authority there.

In New York state, you would need to be able to document

14,000 hours of supervised electrical work before you could be licensed. I imagine that the Bahamas has a similar requirement. The amount of time may be different, but it would be frightening if they didn't have some means of assessing one's skill and experience before granting a license, or however they confer the status of "qualified".

So what I'm telling you is not my assessment of your skill/experience/book learning/whatever. I'm telling you that you need to demonstrate those things to the authorities there, and giving you a comparison of how it is done in New York.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Tha Bahamas doesn't give a shit man...set me up on the online course and be done with it already mate :-)

I not worried about tests and requirements..I'm gonna install regardless of this..This is just for me personally.

I don't have any probs if I have to demonstre my abilities..but I don't have to.. I will be doing my own projects and that of friends...If I want to hire out then of course to be proper I would have to get some kind of local license...look just forget about it.... I'm doing just fine.. Thanks all req

Reply to
reqluq