Oscillator to kill bacteria

A friend gave me a magazine artical and asked if I could build the circuit it described. The circuit was a text-book 555 timer running as a 20kHz oscillator powered by a 9v battery. The oscillator output was to be connected to metal handles that could be held in each hand.

The artical described that, by holding the handles for 7 minutes, 3 times per day, the "device" would kill all bad bacteria and paramecium in the body.

This is obviously a device spawned from foolishness and fed by ignorance, but can anyone give me a little more background into who/what would foster this sort of thing?

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Kilzer

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Kevin Kilzer at snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com wrote on 5/21/05 9:31 PM:

To paraphrase Richard Feynman, the answer is more likely to be found in the discipline of abnormal psychology than in engineering or the physical sciences.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Rifle

paramecium

It was an idea from a genius in optics (Rife??), the man who built the best optical microscopes ever. Rf can indeed kill bacteria, but in those doses it can also damage humans. Hence the approach of pulsing it.

The idea is so way out I dont know of any serious research ever being done to see if it has any real effect. It sounds highly unlikely, but since it was poineered by a true genius I would be hesitant to say it had absolutely no chance of working.

BTW the original equipment used thermionic vacuum tubes rather than direct connection electrodes, the 2 types of kit are generally known under 2 different names... cant remember the rest.

If you want an antibiotic rather than to play, better to look at colloidal silver. Much garbage written about it, but it does kill bacteria.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

There are lots of things done with electronic circuits that no-one would have dreamed of a decade or 2 ago. maybe there is some truth to this bacteria zapper, but I wouldn't bet on it so fast., too many necesary constants in the human for me to speculate on.

The colloidal silver is popular (gold works better but too expensive to make) and works but too much of a good thing is not as good, a woman sued with damages of silver deposits showing up on her facial skin ;-o She drank it by the bottles i guess and looked very healthy except for the Silver Patches on her face .

Roy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

I was curious about that I got on a colloidal silver list for a few months. The woman of ODed on silver looked GREY.

Anyway, the colloidal generators just passed a current between two pure silver wired inserted into distilled water. There was all kinds of discussion as to whether high or low current or AC or DC make "better" silver.

The folks who pander to the silver lovers charge essentially Gold prices for silver wires. Since so little metal is actually in solution, the true value added is in the hype and packaging. One wonders why gold isn't pushed more.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Roy QT:

do you have any refs for this, or any studies? I've never heard of it.

Rosemary used ground silver, a quite different thing to todays electrolytic cs. Electrolytic cs does not carry the risk of blue discoloration that ground silver did a century ago. Her site can be a bit misleading.

John Gilmer wrote:

A non sequitor of course. Have seen cs clear numerous infections.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Oh, I'm sure Google has plenty on the subject.

How don't remember how (it may have been when I was looking for marketing info on silver in conjunction with some mining companies I was interested in) I first heard of it but I know I didn't have any trouble finding and joining an e-mail list.

Silver is considered to be a very "safe" bacteria fighter. Some water filters that took out the chlorine from tap water replaced the Cl with some silver ions to keep the filter from being an incubator.

There

That doesn't change my point that the value of the metal involved is down in the noise.

Reply to
John Gilmer

It was all over the News Late last year or earlier this year, i don't quite remember the date, but that it was not that long ago.

The lady had silver Patches growing out of her face; too much of a good thing ~>

I've tried it myself, with no adverse effects., then again I did not obsess over it. Roy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.