[OT] "How Green Is Your House" and TV watching

On a recent UK broadcast of "How Green Is Your House" the advisor said she wanted to limit TV watching from 7 hours a day to 1 hour a day.

Surely a modern TV does not use all that much power and more substantial electrical savings could have been found easily elsewhere?

Was she just trying to impose a lifestyle rather than save a useful amoun of energy?

She also wanted to limit the time spent by the father on listening to his micro-system through headphones. I would guess this uses even less power than a TV.

Does anyone know typical consumption figures?

Reply to
Jon D

adding OT to the beginning of a post does not make it ok to post in the wrong group ?????

Reply to
Funfly3

It certainly sounds like it! It'd mean you could never watch a movie in one sitting, even if it was the only thing you watched that day! Absurd.

She sounds like the sort of TV-hater that they have in home makeover programmes, where the TV is always banished to a corner of the room (often behind a folding screen) or they make a cabinet with doors so that you can "close it away out of sight". Why should it be out of sight!

Reply to
Mike Henry

A TV uses a relatively small amount of power. Did she mention making sure that you only boil enough water needed for, say, one cup of tea - instead of the half kettle most people boil and reboil? How about using a lower temp setting on your washing machine?

Guess - it's a woman.

A micro system will use less power than more or less anything in the house. This is a pathetic attempt at managing someone's lifestyle under the banner of "the environment". Part of the same logic that calls 4x4s that have better fuel consumption than many luxury cars bad for the environment. The government and media is choc full of ill informed dick heads like this.

Reply to
Schrodinger

I'll have you know my BMW is environmentally friendly, for every gallon of fuel I put in, it only pollutes 19 miles of atmosphere.

Reply to
Trevor Best

Somebody needs a lesson in Boyle's law.

Reply to
Schrodinger

I agree with you. Much greater savings could be made by reducing the power of a load which is always on, e.g. in its life, a typical microwave oven uses more power to run the clock than to cook the food, because it might be cooking for 5 minutes a day at 1kW, but it's running the clock for 1440 minutes a day at perhaps 5 Watts, because of the inefficient power supply for the clock. The same kind of thing applies to TVs, many of which use

10W or so just to run the remote control receiver. She should have asked them to limit the standby time of the TV by switching off at the socket, rather than limiting the watching time. In my opinion, if your enjoying something, it isn't entirely a waste, whereas something costly that you don't even notice, let alone enjoy, is certainly a waste.

It is sending out the wrong message if she makes it seem like energy saving has to be unpleasant. There are plenty of ways of saving energy that people wouldn't even notice, like putting power switches in the primary circuit of the power transformer in a radio, instead of putting the switch in the secondary as is more usual.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

I saw some of the programme. The bits I saw were bullshit. Can't recall all the issues now, but her comment that a TV on standby uses 80% of the full-on power was one of the bits of bullshit which I do recall her saying.

Just remember the programme is meant to be entertainment, and sadly not educational.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My FORD Expedition only pollutes 15 miles of atmosphere per gallon!

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

If you watched a TV taking 60W for one hour per day, and left it on standby taking 10W the rest of the time, then almost 80% of the energy used by the television would be when it was on standby.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Fraser

Funny, it thought it *did*. :)

It's not a big deal anyway - it's not like we're still using 800 bit modems, or 50mb HD's.

Reply to
Paul Hyett

Yes. She seems to have a big down on enjoying oneself.

She's a typical lentilista. And if she's ridden that bike any distance, I'm Lynford Christie. Perhaps she should eat fewer pies and mind her own business?

The concept of overall system costs doesn't seem to have crossed her blubbery little mind, either. A system that costs (say) £5000 and saves £50/year (the rainwater recovery system she wittered on about in an earlier programme struck me as a good example) simply isn't worth installing.

There is also considerable doubt whether switching computers off and on all the time is a good idea, either. If it shortens the life of the computer and it needs replacing, you've way exceeded any saving you may have made.

Much recycling is pointless, too. The energy costs of recycling many materials way exceeds the cost of replacing from new. Many councils actually put the contents of recycling bins into landfill anyway. Milton Keynes recycling centre loses tens of millions a year, evidence that the materials it recovers are unwanted.

Reply to
Huge

It might be worthwhile for you that she has paid to collect her rainwater though, since much of the cost of providing water to consumers is probably paid through the tax system rather than through water meters.

Depends - most computers are chucked out when they still work, because they become obsolete. There is room to wear them out a bit faster and they could still be chucked out because they are too slow rather than because they fail. I am doubtful about the benefits of leaving things on all the time anyway. I think it depends on the appliance, and the length of time the thing will be idle. I think that in almost all cases, if something won't be used for a whole night or a whole day then it is worth switching it off. The cost of electric power is only partly paid on the electricity bill, if you have visited some power stations, you get to appreciate this. Certainly switching things off is way cheaper per Watt than installing solar panels, and is therefore more deserving of subsidies.

But aluminium is always worth recycling. They build aluminium smelters close to power stations rather than close to bauxite mines, because the cost of transporting the ore is less than the cost of transporting the electric power - that shows how much power is used.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

I get 53 mpg (US gallons) or 64mpg (UK gallons) from my diesel car that only cost me £2500 (about $3000). It runs on biodiesel made from old cooking fat. I will think of you with a smile every time the fuel price goes up! I can drive 4 times as far as you! 4 times!!!! Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

-- Tzortzakakis Dimitrios major in electrical engineering, freelance electrician FH von Iraklion-Kreta, freiberuflicher Elektriker dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr Ï "Jon D" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá news:96E8B693C63D571E5D@66.250.146.159...

yes-my 29"sony crt tv (KV-29cl10e) uses 94 W when on and 0.5 w on standby.The worse thing however for a *green* house are airconditions.A typical, standing or ceiling fan, uses 50 W, even at full power, efficiently cooling a person, while an aircondition 1000 W, 20 times more.To go in-topic, a city like Iraklion, which I live , with 200,000 inhabitants, typically needs 300 A at the HV side(150 kV) of the 150/15 kV side of the substation transformers.This is, of course, 3 kA at the 15 kV LV side of the transformer.The typical, very small, mazut oil fired unit, like number two of linoperamata power station, has a stator voltage of 15 kV (typically 6.6 kV of such a small unit) and an apparent power of 17 MVA and a real power of

15 MW.This is still 1 kA at 15 kV.The few nano amperes needed for a TV can be neglected...The problem is at summer noons, when everyone turns their a/cs on.They recently installed a new 25 MVA transformer at our local sunstation in Katsabas, along with power-factor combensation capacitors,15 kV.And of course, being uncomfortable and hostile, to have all the doors and windows closed when the A/C is on, all the stores in the centre run their A/Cs at full power with ALL the windows and doors open...I wish they watched TV 10 hours a day instead...
Reply to
Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

True; But I get to drive mine here in sunny florida!

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

A ton of money could be saved by manufacturing items which utilize quality materials and can be serviced readily. Too much money and resources are spent filling landfills with appliances and goods which wear out prematurely and cannot be repaired.

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Until someone sees you as a threat and shoots you :-)

Reply to
Trevor Best

Tourists are now given hand outs at the airport on how to behave around us armed floridians. The behavior of the tourists has improved markedly, even to the extent they are tipping waitresses properly.

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

As long as purchase prices are low, repair knowledge amongst the general public is low, and expert labour is expensive, many repairable items probably won't be repaired anyway. A lot of people take a failure as an excuse to go out and treat themselves to something newer and shinier. :-/

Personally, I've repaired a broken PSU in a VCR (cost me about 3.50GBP and an hour of my time) and got my parents' TV working again (required a new internal fuse - 10 for 1.98GBP in Maplin, and about 20mins of my time).

Best Regards, Alex.

Reply to
Alex Butcher