[OT] "How Green Is Your House" and TV watching

Michael A. Terrell wrote this in :

Yes, speed is in bps, not baud. Baud is how many times pr second the signal changes. With new modulation technology, it is feasible to transfer 4 or more bits pr baud. While a 300bps modem likely is a

300baud modem, a 57600 bps modem is certainly not a 57600 baud modem. A normal phone line has a bandwidth of ~3kHz.
[... baud listing]
Reply to
Vidar Løkken

a) I regarded it as a "learn how to repair stuff project" with no negative consequences other than time expended, and therefore "fun" (for certain values of "fun", I grant you...)

b) all the modern VCRs I could find were rubbish; cheaply made from lots of plastic, dubious picture/sound quality and limited input/output connectors.

Yeah, I pay someone else to do oil changes, too. That's "not fun" in my book.

Best Regards, Alex.

Reply to
Alex Butcher

Conversely, electrolytics will also degrade if left for long periods unused. As the oxide layer thins the voltage capability drops, and the capacitance increases!

Reply to
Bungee

When I bought my car, the previous owner gave me a stack of new oil filters and washers for the drain pug, which left me feeling obliged to do my own...

After my own personal "Exxon Valdez" incidents, I think I may skip doing them in future...

Reply to
Simon Cooper

There are not many VCRs anymore for $40, and the few to be found, are total junk. (USA, Utah)

In the second, more important place, I am weary of buying new VCRs, with different remote control interfaces, different on screen features, and other stuff that you just get real used to. I would fix it first if I could, even tho I don't drink.......

Mark

Reply to
mark349

So, how many decades are you going to go between using your computer? I have electrolytics that are over 50 years old that still measure the right capacitance, and have a very good ESR.

Very poorly made caps will degrade without being used, but they are the same ones that have a short life due to poor design and materials used in their manufacture.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I switch on my old test equipment for an hour or so every few months, to remind the capacitors not to go leaky. Apart from that, I switch a device off if it will be unused for an hour or more.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Unfortunately our kids are educated by advertising companies, who bullsht them as far as they can, and schools dont seem to tackle it at all. They then become adults that are so misinformed about money as to be bordering on deluded, trained to give all their money away for junk at any opportunity they can find.

even when its known to increase the rate of deaths, accidents and costs.

The basic problem is we live in an ignorant society. At least computers are helping quite a bit with this.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Correct, but baud bps.

^^^^ s/buss/bus/. Buss is something you did with a pretty young girl in the back seat of a car, many moons ago. ;-)

You forgot 134.5 ;-)

No, those are bps numbers. Baud is signal transitions per second. Bits per second is then the baud times the symbol size. 1200bps modems were

300baud, for example, with 4bit symbols. Older 9600bps modems were commonly 1200baud with 8bit symbols.

I've never seen anything slower than 75 or 110 baud. The A/KSR33s were

110baud (10 cps).

Sucked, eh?

Reply to
keith