outdoor lights

I have two outdoor lights, both of which are burned out. My roommate told me to replace them. They both have 100watt bulbs in them
currently. Is it safe to stick a 40 watt bulb in there? I have a bunch of 40 watt bulbs lying around and may not have time to go to the store till tomorrow.

It is safe to install any conventional light bulb rated at or lower than specified on the fixture. Just because there were 100 W. bulbs in there doesn't mean the fixture is rated for 100W. I would doubt that an outside light fixture would be rated for less than 40W but I felt obligated to mention it.
Tom
bob wrote:

Only if your definition of safety doesn't include not tripping over something in the dark. Otherwise, there shouldn't be a problem.