PCI Slot Expansion

I want to design a pci board which will expand one pci slot through a pci-bridge and pci-local bus and get two slot. I wonder if there is any driver problem? say i plug a audio card into the expanded slot?

thanks

Hui

Reply to
Hui Li

There *shouldn't* be a problem (given a competent bridge design), but if it's a CL sound card I wouldn't expect it to work in a perfect system.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Thank you, do you know if there are any cots cards to do this? or any design available?

Hui

Reply to
Hui Li

No, sorry. I know PCI cards that combine functions this way, and boards that have PCI-PCI bridges for more slots. The mechanics of an add=in-card to expand slots seems a little funky.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Maybe I misunderstood this question...but wouldn't the cheap way out be to buy a motherboard with more slots?

Reply to
Ross Mac

It's because I am making a product, I hope to combine two card into one, so to make the product slimer, look better and meet more situation.

hui

Reply to
Hui Li

You *should* be able to do this. Certainly you must have a PCI- PCI bridge from a reliable source. As long as you're not doing slots, things should be fairly straight forward. I've seen cards that do this (the ADA-3780, being one example). Of course testing with an infinite number of system configurations might put a crimp in your style.

I'd highly recommend "PCI System Architecture", by Shanley and Anderson. It's available on-line (though not free) on their website:

Keith R. Williams