Video (Web cam) with quick response?

I've noticed that your typical web camshas a delay between the actual event and when you see it on screen. I am talking about 1/2 second of
a delay. I am uncertain where the delay is happening, is it in the camera, the USB, or perhaps as my 1.2mhz computer works to display the video.
I know this is an issue for video conferencing, since it prevents you from having a truely fluid conversation over the internet (assuming that the internet is not causing any delays). I imagine it is also an issue for a telepresence robot as you attempt to steer it or control a robot arm.
I spoke with one company that deals with web conferencing and they say the systems without the delay have hardware compression in the camera, and cost around $3,000. Definitely out of my budget!
Are there any low-cost systems that don't have as much a delay?
I am not hotly persuing this issue, so don't go to any trouble researching this on my behalf.
Joe Dunfee
cadcoke4 wrote:

Seems outrageous to me.
Check out Michael Owings' page at www.swampgas.com. He might have specs on the video system he used.
From my own experience, I've had instant results when using a capture card. Not sure what's available today, but the cards I used were from outfits like Winnov, which also provided an SDK of sorts so that you could write programs to interface with the cards. They require a PCI slot, and have jacks for video (and audio, if they support on-board audio rather than relying on your PC's sound card). Several of the boards cost under $200, depending on features. Doesn't sound like you need a lot.
If you stay away from USB you don't need to deal with the company's proprietary driver to interface the camera. Or, if you can find a USB camera that has an open SDK then you might be able to write something yourself that lacks the delay, which is likely just in the preview window, and not the file writing stream. If you work in VB.NET or C# there's DirectShowLib. It is a wrapper to the Microsoft DirectShow platform. Complicated stuff, but they have some ready-to-go samples that will work with any camera that has a properly installed driver.
-- Gordon

Do you want access to China's massive pool of electronic manufacturers... but lack the time to contact suppliers, negotiate contracts, arrange shipping or monitor product quality? Don't worry - Let seriouswholesale deal with all that for you.
*Check out the huge range of Gadgets, MP3 / MP4 Players, Car DVD / Audio, and Computer Accessories now by visiting the online wholesale catalog at seriouswholesale. com You'll have peace of mind thanks to the seriouswholesale Quality Control, 12-month Warranty on all products, and easy secure payment by credit card through Paypal.
Selling on eBay or your own online store? Send products direct from our warehouse to your customers using our unique drop-shipping service. You can profit by selling hundreds of different products, without holding any of your own inventory! Any questions you have will be answered by the seriouswholesale English-speaking customer support team... Their aim is to make your China electronics importing business easier to run than ever before.
Welcome to http://www.seriouswholesale.com .
seriouswholesale - Buy from the source, profit without the hassle.
- 12 Months Warranty - No minimum order restrictions - Drop-shipping with no additional fee - Pay by safely by PayPal seriouswholesale Wholesale Co., Ltd.: Chinas original and best online electronics wholesaler & drop-shipper: seriouswholesale. com