microcontroller powered by car adapter

I am building a device with a basic stamp microcontroller. I want to power the device from a car battery using a cigarette lighter adapter. Is this recommended and how would I do this?

Reply to
dmehling

Actually, the main reason I am replying, is to make sure that this posting stays on top of the flood attack. (normally the spam doesn't have any replies)

I am uncertain of the issue of voltage spikes or drop-outs which you may need to contend with. But, I can say that there are low-cost voltage regulator devices which should do the job for you in terms of giving you the correct voltage. Different Stamps take different voltages, so I can't be more specific.

The easiest and cheapest way may be to buy one of the car cell-phone chargers sold at a Dollar store, if you can find one with the correct voltage.

Joe Dunfee

Reply to
Joe

Buying a Y-jack or Splitter from a dollar store is also a good way to find the right socket or plug for your needs. Just cut up the cord and use heavy gauge wire to extend the ends of the cord. As for how to adapt a microcontroler to 12 VDC use I have no idea.

Reply to
Robert Davidson