Need a big servo

I'm trying to build a robotic teeter totter. I need an industrial servo capable of lifting 500 -1000 lbs (for a good safety margin).

Then I need a feedback mechanism to determine angle (short of painting white stripes).

Then I need a way to control it and program it. I've been working with hobbiest toys (handy board, cricket, stamp, ect.), and I'm scared of what the industrial league holds for me. It's like being called up to the majors, I've no idea what I'm getting myself into.

Anyone out there got advice for a hobbiest, trying to "go pro" in robotics? What resources are good?

Reply to
kirsch.dana

Be very careful, and have good medical, property, and liability insurance.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Have you considered hydraulics? This is gonna cost money no matter how you shake it. Hydraulics are powerful, well established, and easily controlled.

- Daniel

Reply to
D Herring

After googling for teeter totter (wtf? lol, the differences between countries never ceases to make me smile!) I thought.... why would you want one electonically controlled? I presume for a display or such like? I dont fancy anyone/thing getting under on end of suck an item without it having serious thought applied to safety.

Reply to
CoyoteBoy

That's why we have

They've removed these from most US schoolyards as a potential hazard. In fact, most fun toys seem to have been removed. No wonder kids "need" methylphenidate.

Reply to
D Herring

You can try something along these lines.

Perhaps a 12 Volt car winch for SUV or Offroad use would apply in this case. All you'd need is a way to measure your tilt to a sensor/potentiometer.

Good Luck.

Robert Davidson

Reply to
Robert Davidson

I'd say no wonder kids are getting fatter if they need an actuated one instead of using those great biological actuators attached to their hips!

Reply to
CoyoteBoy

Oh come on, folks, it's called ART...! The idea is to provoke a discussion on societal interaction, because we've evolved to the point where a kid can (and may prefer to) play teeter totter with a robot instead of having to face the danger of finding a real live playmate... Never fear, the child still has to use his own actuators but the robot will "respond" automatically... i.e. the robot makes it fun.

I promise it won't go onto any real playgrounds.

Thanks for the link!

Reply to
kirsch.dana

In that case, I'd definitely opt for hydraulics. Go with something hugely out-sized, like the pistons you'd find on an excavator (might be able to find cheaply, as salvage).

If you're going to make a statement, make it loudly!

JM

Reply to
John Mianowski