adapter problem

Is this possible? I have a device that normally runs from a car cigarette lighter socket. One end is a male car lighter socket jack..the other end is a 12 mm diameter 4 pin connector. In the middle of the cable is a small 2 button control pad. Can an adapter be made so i can go straight from mains to the device to include the control pad? All the 240 V ac/dc adapters i've seen in the last 2 days of searching are the single pin or wheel spoke adapters for calculators and the like. I need

4 pin. Any ideas? cheers for any help Grongen
Reply to
davit

"davit" a exprimé avec précision :

At the very least, we will need to know what the four pin socket is intended to power and how much current is drawn by it.

In-line female car lighter sockets can be bought, all you would then need is a 12v DC source of adequate current rating.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks for the reply Harry. At the moment the device is run from a 12v DC car battery. I want to be able to get rid of the battery and use the mains. I have a female car socket connector but i want to be able to cut it out of the loop.

Reply to
davit

understood very well. Sorry electricity just ain't my bag! At the moment the schema is like this. Car battery---female socket----male jack--cable---control pad---12mm 4pin female socket---male 4 pin socket in device.

I also have my 'portable' schema thus...stand alone car battery 12v DC---croc clips into female lighter socket---male lighter jack------cable----control pad----12mm female 4 pin socket---male 12mm 4 pin socket.

I want to be able to do away with the battery option and go from mains UK to

12v DC device. The device has a male 4 pin socket in it this is my problem....i think!

thanks agin

Reply to
davit

Reply to
dummy

Il se trouve que "davit" a formulé :

The obvious way is to simply cut the male plug off and take that straight to a 12v DC supply. It would be impossible to advise on the supply needed, without knowing the current drawn. Cutting the plug off, you would need to ensure the polarity was correct.

In the above I am making the assumption that the male plug is just a straight forward male plug, with no electronics contained within it?

FYI, on my test bench I have a 13.8v 30amp supply fitted with a car lighter type socket for testing out such items. 30amps is more than adequate for anything able to be plugged into such a socket, but would be a very expensive way to provide just a few milli-amps if that is all your gadget requires.... We need to know or be able to make a reasonable guess at the current requirements of your gadget.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Harry getting a bit closer oi think. I don't know the power it is drawing though. The male adapter is simply a car cig lighter jack with a

15amp fuse in it. I'm pretty sure i can't cut that off and put a 15amp 3 pin plug on it and stick it in the mains socket on the wall and just connect the other end to the device....or can I? I'm pretty hopeless aren't I? Gron
Reply to
davit

"davit" a pensé très fort :

Plugging it straight into the mains would certainly NOT be advisable.

A 15A fuse might or might not indicate a 15amp load. What is the gadget you are trying to power?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Its a small electric hydraulic car jack.

Reply to
davit

"davit" avait soumis l'idée :

That sounds likely to be an heavy duty application, not at all the sort of thing you could run from a wall wart type of supply....

It is still difficult to be sure, but some ideas for you to consider...

A large-ish CB type power supply might have the current needed, or perhaps a PC power supply. The latter have 12v output between black and orange wires, which depending upon the design, would deliver 10 or

15amps.

I suggest you would need some local and experienced help to try the PC power supply, but the CB one should be fairly straight forward.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield