Power Analysis Course

Hello All -

Not sure if this is the correct newsgroup to post this message, but here goes.

I am interested in learning more about high voltage 380 - 575 Vac power analysis / impact of poor grounding and harmonics distortions.

I currently work in the industrial automation field for 10 years and would like to explore this POWER/ VOLTAGE field further.

Plant automation / motor / robot control are increasingly being introduced into today's plants and many plants today can have varying line quality fluctuations. Like PC's some of the plant equipments are susceptible to bad voltage quality and I see poor plant power becoming a problem more and more each day.

So if anyone has taken a night school program or know of a course that covers practices and theories then and drop me a message.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Note: Area Toronto, Ontario Canada Will consider taking courses if they are located as far south as Burlington, and far west Cambridge (Ont, Canada).

Rgs, Michael Moro C.E.T

Reply to
Michele Moro

Medium voltage is classified over 1000 volts, high voltage is classified as over 35,000 volts. Anything under 1000 volts is low voltage. Need to get that right to start with.

Check with your local electrical manufactures for courses. I know CH and Square D put them on. I know that ETI, electro test inc, used to. Contact Fluke they purchased RPM a while back and I have taken most of the RPM classes.

The problems rarely are with voltage fluctuation. Most power systems are pretty stable now days unless your heading for a black out. My experience has lead me to wiring practices and grounding problems most of the time. Yep plain ole workmanship. Acquire the Soars Book on Grounding. It takes a complex situation and explains it in terms that you can understand. You will have to do some interoperation cause it is written off the NEC not the Canadian code. There is not that much difference any more.

If you can locate the Eaton Electric Service Group in Canada ( old CH ) there are some sharp, really sharp, guys that teach this subject. One is Mike Hodder, and the other is Pat Petri, ( sorry if I misspelled the last names )

BMI-Drantez used to publish a book on wave shapes and their meaning. Of course your going to need an o'scope to do any of this. At least 20 mhz. I own a FLUKE 123 that is 10 years old that still holds it own for basic measurements.

Good luck with your endeavor

Reply to
SQLit

Closest is U of T. Surely they still have a good power program. Outside of that- and it may be out of your range- check Waterloo.

Reply to
Don Kelly