problem with chattering contactors for drill press machine

Need advice:
What are some causes for chattering relays. I have a three phase drill
press machine with forward/reversing contactors. It runs in both
directions but the contactor for each direction buzzes or chatters
rather loudly. I have already checked for loose wires and obvious
problems.
Sincerely,
steve
Reply to
steve
Sounds like a bad contactor, or perhaps the coil's shunt has become dis-engaged, or it could be something blocking the contacts and letting the armature not fully engage.
Reply to
Skenny
"the coil's shunt"... oops, I meant the coil's SHADING coil, a small ring like piece of copper that "fills in the valleys" of the incoming AC. On some contactors this shading coil is removable, I would make sure one isnt missing. (Should be one for each coil, forward and reverse).
> Sounds like a bad contactor, or perhaps the coil's shunt has become > dis-engaged, or it could be something blocking the contacts and letting > the armature not fully engage. >
>> Need advice: >> >> What are some causes for chattering relays. I have a three phase drill >> press machine with forward/reversing contactors. It runs in both >> directions but the contactor for each direction buzzes or chatters >> rather loudly. I have already checked for loose wires and obvious >> problems. >> >> Sincerely, >> steve >> >> > > > >
Reply to
Skenny
Dirty pole faces. strip the contactor out and clean the pole faces, probably be as good as new..
sQuick..
Reply to
sQuick
buzzing might be loose laminations in the relay coil. annoying but not threatening.
chattering does not sound good. does this mean the drill behaves in a jerky manner in operation?
Reply to
TimPerry

Site Timeline